Peterk

Well Known Member
I'm so happy we all were smart enough to put our fuel return bulkhead fitting in while the rudder pedals were off...and now we find out there is spacer to include....arrrrghhhh.

I didn't do mine before

But I still wished they had included it with the Fuse kit. Would have made more sense I'd say, but, maybe there was a reason.

John Bender

Section 28

John,

I did notice they moved it to section 28...at least thats better than with the powerplant.

Looking at another spare fitting that I have, it appears the spacer is there so the nut underneath grabs a few more threads. Look at another fitting or a picture of the fitting to see what I mean.

I did the same, installed it months ago. There was NO reason to leave it until now, as evidenced by now including it with the fuselage kit (Section 29).

I wonder if the spacer is really necessary??

I used 2 washers between the firewall shelf and the retaining nut so that the nut would totally engage the threads. I notice on the service notice that Van's does not mention a washer between the firewall shelf and the nut. I assume that this is an oversight? Standing by to see how this plays out.

Bob Kibby, Firewall forward kit ordered

At OSH

When I looked at it at OSH, they had a large washer with a section cut off one side on top of the shelf. Not sure what washer we will receive.

John Bender
Engine kit shipped

The washer is about 1 1/4" in diameter and 0.130" thick. It has the light blue protective plastic so this is a Van's fabricated part. There is also a union and nut in the package. Still baffaled about the lack of a washer to go between the bottom of the firewall and the union nut. I thought you always had to use a washer under a nut.

Bob Kibby

I just installed mine. It's not that bad if you like standing on your head. :rolleyes: Seriously, it is alot easier before you put all the wires and brake peddles in, but it is certainly doable.

Last edited:
Marty

Looking at another spare fitting that I have, it appears the spacer is there so the nut underneath grabs a few more threads. Look at another fitting or a picture of the fitting to see what I mean.

I did the same, installed it months ago. There was NO reason to leave it until now, as evidenced by now including it with the fuselage kit (Section 29).

I wonder if the spacer is really necessary??

So you're the one that made me think it was a brilliant idea at the time! hahahah. But then I also think you convinced me to take my rudder pedals off. Thanks again Marty for all the cool videos by the way.

Larry..did you put a washer behind your nut like Bob is talking about?

I installed just as instructed

I don't think the lack of a washer on the underside was an oversight- the new plans page and the service notice are pretty explicit so hard to imagine it was missed. I installed mine yesterday with the spacer on top and only the nut on the bottom just as instructed. Given it is going on stainless and not aluminum, I was less concerned about lack of a washer on the bottom. Worked just fine.