I am gathering information about the RV8 in hope of beginning a project sooner rather than later.

Do all the RV8 kits come with the Grove landing gear? Also, I see some comments concerning an "airfoil" grove gear; although I have an idea what an airfoil gear would look like, how does that apply to the RV8?

Thanks for your indugence.

The RV-8 kit includes flat steel landing gear legs. Some builders delete the steel landing gear legs and related fittings from the kit and order aluminum gear legs and fittings from Grove. Grove sells flat aluminum gear legs, or airfoil shaped aluminum gear legs.

If you have flat gear legs, from either Van's or Grove, you will cover them with airfoil shaped fibreglas fairings. If you have airfoil shaped Grove gear legs, you don't cover them with fairings, as they gear legs themselves are a low drag shape.

The main trade off with the Grove gear vs Vans is weight. Std Grove saves ~18lbs over stock Vans. Airfoil version saves ~11 over stock Vans.
Do an advanced search, titles only, grove gear.
Everything you ever wanted to know will be at your finger tips.

Last edited:
Do you know the cost difference. The weight savings are substantial, even for the airfoil gear.

Hmm, lets see, I just so happen to have the deletion credit list (3 pages long) on my recently delivered -8 fuselage kit right here in front of me... The gear leg credit was $291.11 for each leg from Vans. You can look at the grove prices for yourself http://www.groveaircraft.com/rv8.html

Last edited: