RV7Factory

Chief Obfuscation Officer
I've decided to go with an unheated pitot (for now) but I have installed the SafeAir1 pitot mount to provide me long term flexibiliy.

The only unheated pitot tubes I have located, that will fit the SafeAir1 mount, are the Gretz G-500 and the Dynon AOA pitot. I am not a huge fan of the look of the Gretz and while Dynon is fine, I don't need the AOA (I know it doesn't have to be used). Are there any other unheated pitots out there that I have missed?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Yup

The ugly piece of bent brake line...Almost zero cost and sported by all of Van's demonstrators.

Incidently, I cut the hole for the Gretz mount as i will be upgrading to the Dynon heated probe just cus.

After I did this I made a temporary flat plate that screws in place of the Gretz mount and the brake line version is bolted to a hole in the middle.

When I get my Dynon probe it swaps out with 4 screws.

Frank

Thanks guys.

Frank - Ironically, since I posted the orignal question, I have been thinking of doing pretty much exactly what you did. Modify the SafeAir1 mast to make it removeable (like the Gretz) and then fabricate a filler plate where I can mount the stock Van's pitot. Keeps it simple, flexible, and cheap. I am still thinking about this, but it is definately high on the list now. Thanks!

Brian - Thanks, I knew there was another one out there! At $230 it is kinda steep for what I want to do (cosidering I already have the SafeAir1 mast), but maybe he would sell me just the pitot tube. It's an option... Hmmm.

A somewhat related question...
Does anyone have the instructions and materials list for the Gretz mast they could scan and email or fax to me? I can figure out how to modify my SafeAir1 mast on my own, but the Gretz instructions may give me a leg up. PM me if you can. Thanks!