mlwynn

Well Known Member
Hi all,

At long last, my airplane is about finished and I am getting the radios in and everything squared away for that first flight. I bought a GTN 650 from Steinair when they built my panel. I was looking over the data base options and trying to sort it all out.

There are individual subscriptions for Navigation, Obstacles, Terrain and Safe taxi. There are bundled options that include some of the above and some charts.

I guess the bottom line is that I don't entirely get what these things include. Safe taxi is pretty obvious. I would have though navigation was the airways, but several bundles apparently don't include navigation. Obstacles are on VFR charts, but is that different than what you would see on Flite-charts?

Bottom line is, I am clueless. Anybody understand what all of this means?

Regards,

Michael Wynn
RV 8 Finishing
San Ramon (KLVK)

Navigation database includes airways, all ifr fixes including VORs and NDBs, all instrument approach, arrival, and departure procedures.

Obstacles: Towers, cranes, anything sticking above the geography

Base Map: Graphic depiction of the earth including roads, mountains, cities, etc..

FlightCharts: Approach/Departure IFR charts

SafeTaxi: Airport Taxi diagrams and warnings

Navigation: IFR Fixes, procedures, airways, etc..

Frequency Database: Airport frequencies selectable when you are viewing an airport/fix and want to select appropriate frequency for the radio

At a minimum, the Navigation updates are needed for IFR currency. The rest are optional. Since I have a AFS screen that shows my IFR approach plates, I went with a bundle that had everything except FlightCharts as it wasnt much more than just the Navigation only updates/

Frequency Database

I don't see the frequency database available separately. Any idea if that is a party of the navigation database, or do I have to buy one of the PilotPaks to get the frequency database?

Thanks,