mgomez

Well Known Member
Hi,

I understand that some of you drill holes under the seats and baggage floor to run cable conduits to the tailcone or to underfloor equipment. I have one of my baggage floor panels off, so before I grab the Unibit I wanted to ask this...

Is anyone concerned about drilling big holes in the rear spar? I recognize it is loaded primarily in shear, rather than in bending, but still...

Thanks,
Martin

well, I ran two conduits (one on each side).. but they end before the 704 spar.. I didn't make any additional holes in the 704.. and I wouldn't do it..

Radomir said:
but they end before the 704 spar.. I didn't make any additional holes in the 704.. and I wouldn't do it..

I was referring to the 705 spar...the one behind the seats.

I'm thinking it'll be OK.. there's that big doubler bar there... Of course, I did not drill through that..

I drilled one hole in F-705 to run wires up the left side of the floor. I drilled it near a seat rib flange, in the same relative position as the holes called out in the plans for the central tunnel. I used the left side wiring run for strobe wires and trim wires. The trim wires will connect to relays near the pilot stick, and I have my strobe power supply under the left floor. That wiring run made things much more direct. I debated about putting in a conduit under the floor, but I'll have pretty good access through the door in the baggage floor for the power supply.

I'm a little behind in posting pictures, but this one from a few weeks ago shows the hole location.

Dave