I recently changed the set of dimple dies I have been using and noticed an immediate improvement in skin smoothness.

I have never been really thrilled with my early work on the rudder and elevator skins. It is clear now that they were underdimpled. (with the dies themselves contributing)

https://picasaweb.google.com/101730...key=Gv1sRgCP35zpHVyYax2gE#5557364601437184530
(not the best image but the skin distortion is apparent)

I don't consider myself a pedant but I'm going to do these skins over.

I will drill one off and try redimpling it prior to ordering new skins.

Has anyone done this before? How were the results?

I am expecting that the fit will be sloppy after being riveted/drilled/redimpled and the skin to be quite stretched.

This was a real psychological setback initially but knowing the cause and solution helps a bit, I just hope I'm not going to end up building everything twice!

Thanks in advance.

Build On

All of your skills, riveting, wiring, etc will improve throughout the project. I'm currently working on the fuselage, but when I look back on the vertical stabilizer, I know I could do better now. But what I did on the vertical stabilizer was the best work I could do at the time and structurally all the parts and all the rivets are acceptable, so I am going to leave well enough alone. A good paint job hides a multitude of cosmetic sins.

I would suggest that you build on. If by the end of the project, you can't stand the look of the rudder and elevator skins, build new ones. I think deriveting all of the rivet skins will ultimately compromise the structure beneath. And by the time you finish the project, you'll be able to build the rudder and elevator in a quarter of the time compared to the first time through.

Fred,
I am with Terry on this. I just started flying. sometimes I look at parts of the tail and sort of cringe. I know I could do a much better job now. If any of my cosmetically challenged subassemblies can't be covered up to my satisfaction with paint, I always have the option to fix it now. I can order the parts and build a new one or purchase a partially completed tail kit from someone who decided that building is not for them. The good part about my situation is that I can continue to fly while I do most of that. And, as Terry said, I can now do a much better job in a lot less time.

If you are going to rebuild, I would recommend buying new ribs and spars as well as skins and just doing a new one from scratch. I don't think it would cost much more (especially if you count the time it will take to drill out all of those rivets). Also, I would feel a little uncomfortable about the structural integrity after drilling out all of those holes. I have read somewhere that there is a limit as to how many ooops rivets can be used in a row. One or two here and there are OK. Just not too many in a row.

Anyway, good luck and enjoy!

I agree...build on. Its not a structural/safety issue and if its painted, it will more than likely not even be noticable to anyone but you. I also dont like the idea of drilling out all of those rivets. My experience is that most of the time the holes inadvertantly get enlarged, even when you're good at it--like you will be later in your project. :)

A lot of our building includes self satisfaction with our work. Not knowing how far along you are it's hard to recommend something but if you are really unhappy with the dimples, try drilling out the rivets in one skin and see how you do. If the rivets are drilled out properly you should be able to re-dimple it. It will be a lot of work either way. Every time I have redone something that bugged me, I always felt better but it is a very personal decision. Just my opinion. :) Larry

I would build on

Unless you are ordering all new parts. As many of us have learned the holes will get enlarged/oblonged which results in just as bad or worse of a job. In the end its your money, time and plane.

Thanks guys, I will do as you suggest.

The parts all have the tick of approval from the TC. They just look so mangled compared to my more recent efforts.

I will wait until they are at least painted to see how they look then.

just my opinion

After building and working on airplanes for 30yrs or so, I personally don't like to see large amounts of drilling out rivets. To me this compromises the structure, holes will be compromised some. This happens even to best of competent people who do a lot of rivet removal. A lot of times removing and trying to fix a problem with dimples or rivet holes results in a worse looking situation. As far as structure, they are ok as they are in my opinion. Building airplanes is a continual learning and improving experience. The more one builds the better they get at it. These airplanes are very sound in structure, so appearance is what each individual tends to struggle with. I know I do. After you are flying, building a replacement would be a good solution and rewarding too. Happy building and flying.

bird