LED strip lights

I used a strip of blue LEDs, powered it through the single dimmer module that Vans sells. The strip has self adhesive backing so it directly adheres to the underside. I'm really happy with it, the dimmer works great.

How relevant. Right after the linked thread appeared, I bought the ledlightsworld dimmer and 3 feet of the same LED strip as Pat Hatch used. Finally got around to taking a closer look last night, since I'll be finishing up wiring (and lighting) in the next several days. Have not yet energized the parts, was planning on doing that tonight.

I also have a dimmer from Perihelion Designs, so I will be comparing. Mike, have you played with the ledlightsworld dimmer yet?

I noticed that my LED strip came with 2 flying leads soldered to one end. There are 4 contacts; 3 were jumpered together, the other was by itself. I also bought some extra connectors. Those have 4 separate leads. Not being familiar with the technology (and no instructions were provided), does anyone know whassup with that?

For anyone interested, the ledlightsworld dimmer is easily disassembled. Inside there is a rotary pot (fastened to the front panel) and a small circuit board connected to the rotary pot by 3 wires. Looks simple enough to remove the circuit board and pot, then mount the board remotely. What I'll do if I use the dimmer assembly.

Last edited:
I got both white and red strip LEDs for mine. I use a mini-toggle to switch the dimmer's output between the two.

How relevant. Right after the linked thread appeared, I bought the ledlightsworld dimmer and 3 feet of the same LED strip as Pat Hatch used. Finally got around to taking a closer look last night, since I'll be finishing up wiring (and lighting) in the next several days. Have not yet energized the parts, was planning on doing that tonight.

I also have a dimmer from Perihelion Designs, so I will be comparing. Mike, have you played with the ledlightsworld dimmer yet?

I noticed that my LED strip came with 2 flying leads soldered to one end. There are 4 contacts; 3 were jumpered together, the other was by itself. I also bought some extra connectors. Those have 4 separate leads. Not being familiar with the technology (and no instructions were provided), does anyone know whassup with that?

For anyone interested, the ledlightsworld dimmer is easily disassembled. Inside there is a rotary pot (fastened to the front panel) and a small circuit board connected to the rotary pot by 3 wires. Looks simple enough to remove the circuit board and pot, then mount the board remotely. What I'll do if I use the dimmer assembly.

Hey guys, just wanted to update my experience with this LED LightsWorld dimmer. Not good, really. I was getting some RF interference with the LED lights, so every time I would transmit, the LEDs would flicker. Kind of annoying after a while. Thanks to Chris Schmitt, I tried the Kick KR-6 dimmer and it is really a much better solution. Uses pulse code modulation (PCM) which may be the reason that it seems to be impervious to the same RF. I've had it in the airplane for a few months now and it has been perfect. Here is the link for the new dimmer:

http://www.kicklighting.com/PWM-dimmer-switch-for-LED.htm

Paid about $16 plus shipping. I do recommend a little dab of ShooGoo or equivalent to support the pot a little better. The pot mounts directly to the panel and with the little circuit hanging off the back of the pot, it begs for some support.

LC40e

On my new 7, I'm using two LED strips. One white, one green. They will be rheostat controlled through the LC40. A switch will be used for selection. Wanted to white for reading stuff on the ground and the green as necessary for night flying.

Bench tests show no issues with dimming the LED's. The LED were purchased through Ozium.