RV7Guy

Well Known Member
I am in the final stages of my project and need to mount the GPS antenna and XM radio antenna. I am trying to avoid mounting them on the glare shield. Also don't want to mount them anywhere in back of the spar due to no more space to run wires forward.

I was discussing with Dan C. the GPS antenna mounting locations. I had mentioned that I was interested in mounting the 430 antenna under the cowl. Heat is obviously a potential concern.

Anyone out there who has mounted the GPS antenna under the cowl that can relate any negatives?

Darwin N. Barrie
Chandler, AZ

Antennas

You just missed a posting a couple of days ago from someone who addressed this, with a very nice solution. He re-worked access hatches in the cowl to allow the antennas to "look" through fiberglass.

I tried to find the thread, but was un-able to do so---------perhaps someone else out there in cyberspace will remember which forum it was and respond.

Or maybe you can search for it---------not sure if that is possable.

Mike

430 ant under cowl

Darwin,

My 430 ant is under the cowl and I copied Dan's set-up. I should have to pay Checkoway royalties for all of the crap I copied from him. The only thing that is a negative to me is that if you are using the Van's method of cowl attach (piano hinges and wire) you will occassionally smack the ant with the top hinge wires as you remove and install your top cowl.

Not a big deal though and you learn to work around it. The heat isn't going to be a factor on the ant. I called Garmin months ago on this and the tech said not to worry about it. Of course Garmin said that I should place the antenna outside the aircraft for "maximum" exposure.

Just keep the placement of your ant and hinge wire level in mind when you install. I moved my mount as far to the left side of the firewall (as seen from the pilot seat) and as close to the cowl as possible (without touching) so the antenna can "see" backwards as well.

Yeah whatever, it works great under the hood! I thought about the glare shield but I didn't want to look at the reflection of the white dome all the time in the canopy.

Jeff

I have mine under the cowl of my F1 for my 430 and it works just fine. Pictures of the install are on my web site.

Yeah, but not for all antennas

Yeah, for the 430 antenna, or any "robust" GPS antenna, sure, slap it under the cowling. That's where I put my GX60's antenna. Works fine.

But I wouldn't put my XM Radio antenna or the 396's XM antenna under the cowling. I don't believe the 396's XM antenna would do well with the heat...given how massive the heat sink already is on that puppy.

)_( Dan
RV-7 N714D
http://www.rvproject.com