thinkn9a

Well Known Member
:confused:trying to figure out, for the pin connectors to Whelen strobe/position wiring, what is the correct crimping tool,...

surfing around the web I either get far too much info,.. or nothing,....

So far I've seen a $724 tool and a $19 tool,... and only about 200 in between,... and no simple cross check to figure correct application

Got to believe someone here can help me.

Thanks in advance

Whelen doesn't use Molex connectors

As I recall the connectors on the Whelen products are not Molex. I believe they are Amp.

They are just a little different in sizing compared to the Molex ones.

I had an access to an Amp crimper so was lucky.

Ted

That's correct, the Whelan connector pins are slightly differen't size than Molex but using a Molex crimper worked fine for me.

Try http://www.steinair.com/tools.htm tool SAT-018 MOLEX / Open Barreled Pin Crimper for $31.00.
And while you are there, you might want to add the SAT-004. If you are doing the MOLEX/Open Barrel crimping you will probably be doing some D-Sub crimping. I got both with my initial kit from Stein and not regret it a bit. Also consider the SAT-001 with dies for the COAX connetors and the pin removal tools.
With the pricing of freight any more I am combining everything I can in each order.:)

thanks everyone ! I'm on it!

well,.. it gets better,..

Van's Parts Web site,........ Molex

Van's shipping list with lights....... AMP

Connector on lights...... nothing (ok 2 digits)

One thing I do know about electrics,... crimps are NOT as simple as I would like to think,...

and the other is,.. I don't know about electrics,...

amyway,.. I'm good,.. tools on order,.. parts on order, Marietta on standby to hold for crimp

Thanks again for all the help!