nickwj

Hi,

I'm connecting the Lycoming sensors to the GEA24 and after grounding the shields to the backshell of the J243 D-sub. I am constantly getting continuity between the UMA T1A9-1 Tach sensor ground and the shield - as if I've damaged the wire and they're shorting out. I can't get to the shielding or ground wire at the sensor as they are sealed. This is the third time I've made this ground and I'm beginning to think that there is an internal connection between the two (and not my poor soldering!!).

From a post in 2011 a builder said "I checked tach sensor wires for continuity with a tester, there is no connection between the 3 wires with each other or with plane ground, but white/blue wire is connected with tach wire shield, is that normal, G3X said you should ground shield at GSU connector but shield is already grounded by white/blue wire, I think maybe sensor is bad"- but there was no reply.

Is this the case and can I carry on or am I repeatedly damaging the wire? Help!

Thanks

Nick

Nick Williams-Jones
G-RVWJ
UK

I just checked a new one and yes the wht/blu is connected to the shield in the sensor.

Walt,
Thanks for answering so quickly, that puts my mind at ease. Just can't understand why there's nothing obvious in any of the diagrams or specs.
Cheers
Nick