smiller

Well Known Member
Patron
In the primer wars section of VAF forums is a discussion of using a "super hydrophobic" product called Ultra Ever Dry for corrosion protection.

Well, there's a TED talk on this product now (see manufacturer's link above and scroll down) and the speaker mentions (paraphrasing) that, "It can be used as an anti-icing coating, because if you don't have water, you don't have ice."

As far as I know, it has not been tested nor approved as of yet for use on the external surfaces of aircraft. But hey, we're all about "Experimental" here, right? This sounds like a potentially wonderful solution for those situations when inadvertent flight in icing conditions occurs. I wonder if it might also prevent frost from forming on aircraft parked outside.

The stuff is spendy -- $400 for a gallon of "Part 1" and a quart of "Part 2." It's also available only in translucent white. There appears to be no "wipe on" version -- it is to be sprayed on. Its outdoor durability is limited (months). And I don't know if it can ever be entirely removed (say, if you decide to repaint!).

I'd be very interested in reports if anyone has any experience with this stuff, especially if they've applied it to their wing and propeller leading edges.

The TED presenter says that the coating creates a microscopically rough surface, allowing a layer of air to form between the surface and any water that comes near the surface. How this surface modification would affect the aerodynamic properties of an airfoil is thus another question in my mind. How cool would that be if it also made our airplanes faster due to that thin layer of air above the nanoparticles?!

Ooops! I just watched the manufacturer's application video and they say, "The surface will fail if treated with detergents, soap, solvents, or high-pressure water."

What a let-down.