speyers

Well Known Member
After last year's Oshkosh, my wife and I decided it was time to start working on a homebuilt. We had seen lots of different models and options and decided we would shoot for a single place but if things got away from us a two place would work out just fine as well. My wife comes from a homebuilding family where her brother has already completed 3 projects so she had a good idea what we were getting into.

It did not take long to get started and by Christmas we had already done some preliminary testing and laid out two parallel lines on a test strip which assured us we were positively on our way. Bit by bit we were able to see the project grow during the following months, slow and steady wins the race.

My March it was evident to the rest of the neighborhood what we were up to. You can only keep a homebuilt a secret for so long before people start asking all the normal questions. "When will you get done?" Thursday. "How fast will it go?" Very fast, it has 4 valves per cylinder.

Thanks to some 3 and 4D computer imaging, we were able to nail down the design. A single place, dainty nose dragger was what we settled on. I got to work painting the bits and pieces the right color in the shop, and my wife also pitched in with odds and ends, she called it "nesting". Women are so wierd.

After more visits with our tech counselor we knew we were getting close to the 90% done, 90% to go part. As our homebuilt got bigger and bigger, it became a little more difficult to find any free space for it. They say these things become all consuming, and they are not kidding!

After more than 6700 hours of built time (equivalent to 40 weeks nonstop) finally, the big day arrived. In the end, the final push only lasted 15 minutes. With the help of the local DAR (Delivery and Recovery) we held the fruit of our labor in our hands. As many of you know, words can not express the joy, excitement, and satisfaction of seeing that completed project for the first time.

Pertinent stats are as follows:
Weight: 7 lbs 9 oz.
Length: 20 inches
Date of completion: August 21st
Type: Experimental Aircraft Speyers (or Emily Anne Speyers)

I have assumed the role of doing all the preventive maintenance, oil and filer changes, while my wife is keeping her all topped off with fluids. For those who are still on the fence about homebuilding, I can't recommend it enough, it is exhausting at times, you lay awake in the middle of the night thinking about it, but in the end, it is worth it!

As you do not know the path of the wind, or how the body is formed in a mother's womb, so you cannot understand the work of God, the Maker of all things.
-Ecclesiastes 11:5

Congrats! We are 11 months ahead of you. A lot of very cool firsts in your immediate future. Take a lot of pictures!

Congratulations!

We had our first about 14 months ago. It's the best project ever. Completely eclipses the RV home built.

Guy

Great news and congrats to all three of you!

My latest project arrived almost six years ago and now he is begging me to build him a Pitts. Not a peddle Pitts but a real Pitts S1. What a boy!

Of course, if I do that, I'll have to build two, one for each of us.

Beautiful Project

Thank you for sharing God's handy work, "Beautiful Child"
You make feel old as I have a grand daughter about 2 years old now.

Nicely written congratulations! The thread title was regular and I didn't click on it initially until saw the front page. Good smile well done Sir! :)

Congratulations on the birth of your daughter and a clever announcement! Cherish your time with her, it all goes by so fast. I'm a repeat offender of two "homebuilds" myself; the oldest is 27 and just got married, the younger one will be 24 in October. Where does the time go? :)

Birth of a new RV passenger

I too would offer words of congratulations and would also say, with one daughter married now, 30 something or thereabouts (never can remember the ages of all the offspring), and the other in her twenties, not married, but having gotten herself into Princeton of all places and graduated Cum Laude, START SAVING your money! Wow, if my youngest had just decided that UC Davis was good enough can you imagine what I'd have in my RV6A? Hmmm...let me imagine that for a moment!

And run I say run, when you start hearing the words "Daddy" around 13-14 years of age from your precious little girl. Take it from someone whose been there, money rushes out of your wallet at the 20GPH rate when you start hearing the words "Daddeee." :)

But keep in mind, even though it is no doubt not on your ADSB screen yet that you too, will one day, be able to relish the fine pleasure that all the Father's before you have enjoyed over the last few thousand years in the making and seeing other men, albeit perhaps young men, sweat, and I mean sweat and cower before you - when they come to pick-up her up for a date. It is one of the few pleasures in life we Fathers get! What is it that Steve Martin said in the movie Father of the Bride...we first start worrying that our daughters will meet the wrong guy, and then later we really worry they'll meet the right guy!

Congratulations....and uh, start saving.

A very heartfelt congratulations! Great way to announce. Our newest project should get signed off around the middle of October. As a very repeat offender (8th home built almost finished, or would that be started?), I can honestly say that it will be a great blessing for years to come and there is nothing greater. Also, when times get tough, the Scriptures will keep you going.

For N941WR, I take my 2nd project to work with me most Fridays (a benefit of homeschool). If he wants a Pitts, he's going to build it himself.

congrats!

looks like a good one! it gets exciting when they put the wheels on start to taxi around.

Thank you

Thank you for the kinds words and encouragement. She is wonderful and I think my heart has grown twice as large already. Did find a way to cut down on a lot of that crying...