BuckWynd

Well Known Member
OK, hypothetically, let's say you were mounting your RV-8 vertical stabilizer, and you were back-drilling the lowest of the three 1/4" holes through the tailwheel weldment/bulkhead/VS spar.

The one we're talking about here is the lowest AN4 hole in this photo:

RV8-VS-Spar.jpg

Let's say you had a pretty bad day and ended up with an oblong hole (between 1/16" and 1/8" out-of-round).

Would you install a fourth AN4 bolt about 7/8" above the ugly hole? The tailwheel mount seems like a particlarly high-stress place, and I'm not sure I want to leave the hole the way it is. Would you drill it larger and install an AN5 bolt instead, or would you leave it alone? Or do something else?

Any suggestions for this purely hypothetical situation :rolleyes: would be appreciated.

I had a friend once...

...who built a, erm, boat. He used to screw up regularly and whenever he did he would email the manufacturer of the boat kit; they always knew the right way to fix his mistakes ;)

Hypothetically speaking...

I see no problem with the larger bolt idea. But I also agree with Jeff. Run it past the pro's at the factory first.

Thanks

I'll be running it past the folks at Van's later today. Just thought I'd get a head start on things -- and maybe get some idea about the seriousness of the "fix." Thought it might help me sleep, too. :)

Any suggestions for this purely hypothetical situation :rolleyes: would be appreciated.

Since we are talking purely "hypothetical" here....;).... and you are going to do the prudent thing and contact Van's, here's my thought: As long as there is no e.d. issue to deal with, drilling for and installing an AN5 bolt seems to be a perfectly acceptable fix. To avoid the ugly bolt syndrome again, bring the hole up using a 19/64 drill bit or an "N" drill then use a well lubricated .312 reamer and slow RPM to make the final pass. In any event, let us know what the pros at Van's say.

AN5 bolt

Drill it out and install AN5 bolt. You are correct. This bolt carries some rather large loads.