bobby

I installed my main gear legs (RV-8) yesterday. When fitting the legs I used hardware store bolts and the left U803 needed some filing to get the called for gap of .030 to the U805-1 wear plate. After installing them with the actual bolts and proper torque the gap on the left was about .012 instead of the called for .030. I can see light through the gap and see the bolts in the gap. As anyone who has done this knows getting at the nuts inside the gear towers is not all that easy. Do you think the .012 is okay or should I remove the U803 and file it some more to get a bigger gap.

Thanks,

Gap

Personally, I would try to get the proper gap now. After you fly for a while and re-torque the bolts a couple of times, you may have significantly less than .012" gap and there's even the possibility of bottoming out the two pieces, thus having no gap at all.

Thanks for the input. I was wondering how much that gap would be reduced when re-torquing the bolts. I ground down one side of a socket which makes getting at those nuts a bit easier. I'll take it out and get the proper gap and reinstall with new lock nuts.

U803 Gap

I spoke to an engineer at Grove a week ago. He told me the amount of gap doesn't matter as long as there is a gap and the bracket is not flush with the wear plates. Call Grove yourself to confirm if you wish.

Cheers.