ShirleyH

I'm New Here
My RV12 has 180 ish hours, operating off grass and bitumen. Today I noticed that both tires have exessive wear on the outside. The outer edges are completely smooth, while the centre and inner edges have still got excellent tread.

Since they are both the same I don't think it's caused by operational errors.
I'm wondering if the toe in/out is causing this. Not something I had any control over on the 12, as the gear legs were pre-drilled, unlike my RV6.

Anyone have any ideas?

It’s due to the camber of the main gear legs. The tires ride on the outside edges, especially so when the plane is lightly loaded. Excess tire pressure will make it worse too. See attached showing my wear after 200 hours of operation on exclusivity paved surfaces. I simply reversed them on the rims and they’re now wearing on the new tread.

Attachments

• IMG_3710.jpg
    IMG_3710.jpg
    484.1 KB · Views: 47
My RV12 has 180 ish hours, operating off grass and bitumen. Today I noticed that both tires have exessive wear on the outside. The outer edges are completely smooth, while the centre and inner edges have still got excellent tread.

Since they are both the same I don't think it's caused by operational errors.
I'm wondering if the toe in/out is causing this. Not something I had any control over on the 12, as the gear legs were pre-drilled, unlike my RV6.

Anyone have any ideas?

Actually, the toe alignment is adjustable on an RV-12.
The KAI includes steps for checking and adjusting it with tapered shims under the axles if needed.
As already mentioned, it is possible that it is caused by camber which is designed for gross weight operations.
If most operations are well below gross tire wear will be focused at the outside.
It is common to flip the tire orientation around during maintenance once the outside edges are worn.

Tire wear

Is it necessary to replace the tubes when you flip the tires around?
I’ve heard that some of the tubes can stretch.

Last edited:
Not necessary. I usually run tubes through a couple of sets of tires. Your tire pressure is too high.