Neal@F14

Well Known Member
I'm about to buy an RV-6 that the original FAA registration has the builder's last name misspelled by one letter as the manufacturer, but is correctly spelled as the owner.

Is this even worth going thru the hassle of getting corrected?

The builder/current owner has never cared that the FAA misspelled his name in the manufacturer name and never bothered to get it changed and I really don't care either.

I'm about to buy an RV-6 that the original FAA registration has the builder's last name misspelled by one letter as the manufacturer, but is correctly spelled as the owner.

As long as the name is spelled the same on the registration, the data-plate and the airworthiness certificate, no worries!

If they don't match, there could be a problem.

Just got off the phone with the seller. The misspelled name is across all three items. He filed the original registration back in 1999 when he first bought the kit and reserved his custom N-number, and the FAA typo'ed it when they entered it into their systems. He tried to get it corrected long before he finished the plane and got it inspected/AW cert... and got a big run-around in OKC and was afraid he might not get to keep his custom N-number, and so just decided to keep the typo consistent across the records since that was the path of least resistance back then... so that's what it'll stay.

BTW, he did pick a pretty cool N-number. Since it's an RV-6, built FOR 2 people, and is a Texas plane... hence N642TX :cool:

...and in couple more days, it'll be mine :D

Lien Search

One thing YOU MUST DO to protect yourself when buying any airplane is a lien search. I bought two airplanes that had liens against them. FAA does not care if the lien is present. They will register it. However if you have a total loss insurance claim they won't pay off without a clean title. Several companies will do the search for you and will even clean up a title. Don't take the seller's word for it when it comes to the title.

No liens on this airplane. I am buying from the original builder/owner and have known him for almost 12 years. He paid cash for everything as he built it. I even participated in part of the project towards the tail end of the process. It was the very first RV build I was ever exposed to and involved with, and it's kinda special that I'm actually going to end up with this particular plane.

Sounds like you don't have a problem, based on Mel's info.

A funny thought...since the FAA made the same typo in all three places, it might be easier to get the guy's name changed legally to the wrong spelling than to get the name corrected by the FAA!:D

FYI...The listed owner and manufacturer do have different spellings according to the info I searched.
Good luck, and.....Congratulations!

FYI...The listed owner and manufacturer do have different spellings according to the info I searched.
Good luck, and.....Congratulations!

The listed owner has no relevance on the airworthiness documentation for the aircraft.

If the builder's name on the registration, the data-plate, and the airworthiness certificate match, that's all that is necessary.