ericwolf

Well Known Member
I know that I have to use mineral oil for break in (read lots about it already). Mattituck says straight weight or multi viscosity mineral is okay. I will be doing most of the ground running and break-in in spring in Wisconsin, in which ambient temperatures can vary between 45-75?F. What oil would be best for me? I see that Aeroshell has 65, 80, & 100 weight and Exxon and Phillips both have 20W50 Mineral. What do you say?

Get it warm or use multi weight

I would definitely use the multi weight. We don't have the same problem given we're in Tucson, but when we start an engine for the first few hours, we definitely wait till it's over 60 degrees outside. We also make sure that oil pressure is already up before the first start. Lots of people hand prop to build pressure but an external oiler is better.

Pushing 50 weight thru a cold engine is not going to be easy. As you probably know, rod bearings never really touch the crank. There is a thin layer of oil that keeps the parts separated (hopefully) at all times.

Warm up the hangar, do whatever you gotta do for those first few hours.

Or, move to Tucson. Hahahahaha

Phillips 20W-50 is approved for break-in... so it makes it easy (you don't have to worry when to make the switch).. It'd be my choice over any straight weight.. Either way, you should confirm that the oil you wanna use is approved for break in.. not all are.. not sure about Exxon..but I know Phillips multi-weight is approved..

I believe 20/50 phillips is ok however I would recommend phillips 20/50 Type M for initial breakin. With your cool morning starts, I would not use a straight grade oil. To thick when cold,

Thanks guys, I was leaning towards multivis mineral oil, but it is good to double check. I'll probably go with Phillips 20W50 Mineral Oil for the first 10-25 hours or so.

Philips x/c 20w-50 mineral

Look at ECI's site. Lots of discussion re break in and oil to use.

All Temperature SAE15W50 or SAE20W50

30?F. to 90F. SAE40 or SAE50

0?F. to 70F. SAE30, SAE40 or SAE20W40

0?F. to 90?F. SAE20W50 or SAE15W50

Looks like multi weight or SAE 40 (80 weight) will work for your temperature ranges.
Good Luck,
Mahlon
?The opinions and information provided in this and all of my posts are hopefully helpful to you. Please use the information provided responsibly and at your own risk."