alcladrv

Well Known Member
What Type Designator do you use when filing IFR?

I've been using RV7, because I thought I saw it as an FAA recognized Type Designator. Now, I can only find HXA, HXB or HXC. I guess I should be using HXB.

Anyone care to comment?

Mike

Why do they ask?

I don't want to hi-jack this thread but I am curious. I am sometimes asked make & model when using flight following, sometimes after being passed off. Why do they ask? I always say "Vans RV-7" and they seem happy with that. What gives? Thanks.

I don't want to hi-jack this thread but I am curious. I am sometimes asked make & model when using flight following, sometimes after being passed off. Why do they ask? I always say "Vans RV-7" and they seem happy with that. What gives? Thanks.

I've always assumed it's for spacing. They probably want to know how fast you can go.

equipment type

I work as an air traffic controller and the RV series id's have all been added into our system (enroute). HXB would be used if you were a less known experimental homebuilt. Filing a RV6, RV6A, RV8, etc., works just great. It also gives us ATC folks with RV's a chance to say Hi!

real timely subject; since I've been sitting around trying to make a go no go decision with a destination with 600 agl ovc. still home two days later. :)

With the RV7A I've been told RV7.

With the Harmon Rocket-- HXB. HR2 does not work. and maybe that's why my VFR HR2 Pireps never show up on wxmeister.com

thx for info