In-tee-resting. I like the idea of builder assist programs - the resulting product may be better and the process less frustrating for the builder. There's also the value of complete immersion into the project, which some folks will like and some won't.

I'm glad they didn't pull the plug on the program, but it certainly does seem to be at odds with the FAA's recent saber-rattling on the 51% rule.

TODR

Let me get this straight

So spending two hours a day looking around your shop for misplaced tools isn't considered part of the 51% build process?

Does that mean I can cut my logged build time in half?

Seriously, it is good to hear the FAA exhibit some common sense with regard to the 51% rule. Now maybe the other kit manufactures can get on with the business of building kits and not waste their time and money justifying their kits to the FAA.

I'm not surprised

In-tee-resting. I like the idea of builder assist programs - the resulting product may be better and the process less frustrating for the builder. There's also the value of complete immersion into the project, which some folks will like and some won't.
I'm glad they didn't pull the plug on the program, but it certainly does seem to be at odds with the FAA's recent saber-rattling on the 51% rule.
TODR
I don't see this being at odds at all with the FAA's position. Their complaint is with programs where the 'builder' isn't sufficiently involved in actually doing the building. The programs where they say "You put in this rivet, and we'll do the rest" or "watch how this is done" gives the FAA heartburn (and rightly so).
Sounds like the Glasair folks were able to show that their program actually has builder do the work, with the help and guidance of the pros. Properly done, it's the best of both worlds IMHO (if you have the time and $$) The builder gets a real education, and access to a shop with all the right tools for the job to get done quickly and efficiently.
The rest of us just slug away in the garage for a few years...:eek:

<<The rest of us just slug away in the garage for a few years>>

So why do we garage sluggers get stuck with a load of new paperwork?

Sheesh.

The two week to taxi program just passed a week long audit acording to AvWeb.

http://www.avweb.com/eletter/archives/avflash/1250-full.html

I don't have a problem with that but it seems to conflict with the message FAA has been sending about review of the 51% rule.

John

And from AvWeb:

Among those auditing the Glasair program was Frank Paskiewicz, who heads up the FAA's Production and Airworthiness Division and is a key member of the 51 percent rule committee

Based on the "old" rules I would assume? It is especially interesting in light of the current/ongoing review of the 51% rule. I wonder if "fabrication" was a consideration... how it would compare to the 20% requirement?

I hope this bodes well for any new rules coming out.

DJ