AlexPeterson

Well Known Member
For entertainment only:

Some of you might remember a thread entitled "Two Geeks and a Nosegear Modification"

Well, consider this a cousin to that thread. Many people have said that persistence is the main trait needed to build a plane, which is true.

So, Pete Howell has this Mazda that needs front strut replacement. I get a call from him today, saying that a bolt is not being cooperative. I said "needs the red wrench, right?", he says "yep". I wheeled out the oxy-acetylene torch while Pete drives over. Off comes the right wheel, and there sits the stubborn bolt, a 12mm bolt, stuck in a large casting, right above the c-v joint boot. I thought "uh-oh, that is not going to be easy to heat up without burning something, up to and including our house". We decided to not use the torch - for now. The nut was loose, but the shank of the bolt was really liking that casting.

A partial list of the tools that were then employed: two large hammers, a sledge hammer, a large c-clamp, two impact wrenches, and yes, a rivet gun. Ridiculous amounts of energy were expended, and one impact socket was split open. Bolt was still laughing at us. We were very close to giving up, but you know how this goes...

OK, time to make some heat shields and get to what always works. We fashioned a stainless steel sheet to protect the CV joint, and went after the casting with the torch. Lots of smoke came from various slimy things that were on the casting. In any case, we didn't need the fire extinguisher, and the bolt could finally be turned a little. Many more hammer blows later, the bolt was partially out, but the end was bent. Out came the last tool, a die grinder to buzz off the bent portion. A few dozen more hammer blows, and the bolt was out.

Score: Mazda 0, Crazy Guys 1

PB272930.JPG

BSO - Big Strut Ordeal is Over

I just got in from the garage and the deed is done - new struts all around. It is GOOD to have airplane friends with tools! The Rube Goldberg factor in Alex's garage was off the chart today! Lots of "cypherin'" and "need a bigger hammer'" was going on. Red Wrench always wins in the end.......

It took way longer than it should have, but I did save several tanks of RV gas by doing it myself even after buying a new impact wrench at a T-giving day sale. (it worked for one of the stuck bolts........)

My wife thought I was nuts, but it was really pretty fun.

After the extraction, Alex and I went flying with my older daughter, Megs along - showed her 0G - she giggled the whole time. A pretty good day!