SteelMike

Well Known Member
I have two questions on the final "mock up" of the Elevator/Trim tab/HS. I'm basically finished with the emp, just doing the test-fitting that Vans recommends at the end of the emp sequence (plus, two more weeks before the wings arrive). Both are control linkage questions, and both worry me about flutter.

1. The control linkage on the trim tab: However hard I tried, I couldn't get the trim tab pushrod's cotter pin through the hole in the trim tab's control horn. Against my better judgment, I decided to run a drill through the hole. Now the cotter pin slides in easily, but there's just an itty-bitty, teeny-tiny bit of play in the linkage. Probably no big deal, but this plane will go 200+ mph and I'm worried about flutter. (by the way, everyone had to cut down that big screw that serves as the pushrod, right?)

2. With the last question in mind, I'm struggling with what to do on the bolts that hold the elevators to the HS. The bolts fit perfectly into the rod-end bearings, but they won't even start to go through the hinge brackets on the HS side (411PP and 412PP). Do I drill them out? I'm afraid of creating the same issue as above.

As usual, many thanks for the help,

MB

2. With the last question in mind, I'm struggling with what to do on the bolts that hold the elevators to the HS. The bolts fit perfectly into the rod-end bearings, but they won't even start to go through the hinge brackets on the HS side (411PP and 412PP). Do I drill them out? I'm afraid of creating the same issue as above.

As usual, many thanks for the help,

MB
The powder-coat closes up the holes on the brackets somewhat. Go ahead and carefully drill them out. This will not create a loose condition as you will be clamping down on the rod end bearing with the bolt/nut.