AlexPeterson

Well Known Member
So, despite (or probably in spite of) all the warnings by those who have fought the nose gear rethreading, Pete H. and I tackled gear leg 1 of 2 today.

See, Pete and I are defective. A bunch of credible people say something is difficult, so we sign up.

First, I mount a 94 pound vise (really) to a 12 foot workbench in the hangar. We start along on the threading, and soon realize that the torque needed simply spins the workbench. Time for plan B. We look around the hangar, and amazingly find an old Army tug. This little tug weighs about 2 tons, and has a nice steel plate over the engine. A couple holes later, and we have a vise equipped tug. Let's see if that will spin around...

The real mystery is how the devil that die can take the torque we applied. Our basic strategy was to advance about a half turn, then back off about a quarter. We tried a number of methods, but that seemed to work the least lousily. With two of us reefing on the Swenson bars (probably have to be from Minnesota to understand this), we show that die who is boss. Pete's dog is trying to cover his ears from the groaning - from the die. Back to the torque - we are each pulling about 100 pounds at a 4 foot radius - 800 ft-lbs. Man, that is one good die (made in Canada, cost about $130 from a local supplier)

Anyway, we won round one (still have Pete's plane to do).

It does appear that temperature tightens the die against the gear, so waiting in between cuts seems to help.

Here is Pete manning the initial die holder handles:

Here is after putting on the persuader bars:

This image shows a little lubricant of another sort:

Just woke up....

Good thing the it was too cold for the FAA to be out or we might have been slapped with a TWI - Threading while intoxicated....:p

Yes, this was a bit of fun. As Alex said, the Canadian die is quite amazing.

Mine is next, we'll give our arms and backs a week or so to heal. ;)

Anyway, we won round one (still have Pete's plane to do).

You guys are so crazy!! But they say its always good to know a couple crazy people. They also say they are the best to have a couple drinks with...

I missed the SB by a couple weeks... otherwise, knowing where your hangar is I might have just left the gear and a couple cases of beer for your attention.

Hi,

I'll chime in here, we went the DIY route for cutting / modding the leg - it can be done for ney-sayers. The key here is it depends on how much you value your time, how patient you are, and what the alternatives are.

We ended up getting brand new dies, removed the old fork, cut the extra thread on the leg - in situ, then chopped off and drilled for the cotter pin. Now that makes it sounds 'easy' - it isn't easy, but it is fairly simple.

The biggest challenge is getting smooth even pressure for each of the new '60 degrees' before backing off at least 1 turn each time to really clear the chips. We started with a high grade cutting oil, but found it was "boilling" off too quickly. In the end some generous #22 aeroshell worked well and it really helped with the heat, whilst keeping the chips out / suspended. It took best part of two afternoons (10 hours ish) for the dia cutting work, HEAT being the major factor. Every 1 turn of new thread, die backed right off and cleaned, left to cool - 10+ mins, then another 1 turn in 6 bites..... repeat.

The summary is - if you are prepared to be patient it can be done. But this is the key that many don't 'get' :- IF shipping is sensible, get Harmon to do it by all means - but think of some us - it would have cost > US$300 EACH WAY for shipping, plus $100 modification - that is a $700 job and probably 5 - 7 weeks without a nose leg. We landed the die and holder for less than US$100, 8 hours of (physical) time and we are good to go.

Just another data point,

Carl

Looks like hard work, but fun. The bottom line is that they will never forget this day and all the sweat!
Carl - same here in South Africa. But instead of sourcing a die, we went to a guy not far from me who has now done about 6 RV legs for about 50 US Dollar a piece on his NC machine. We have ordered and received new forks as well.

Good work guys! ...and thanks for NOT CALLING ME TO HELP!!! :D Have you figured out why I don't visit your hangar anymore?!?

- Peter

PS - Pete good strategy trying it on Alex's plane first!

Good work guys! ...and thanks for NOT CALLING ME TO HELP!!! :D Have you figured out why I don't visit your hangar anymore?!?

- Peter

PS - Pete good strategy trying it on Alex's plane first!

You see, the strategy is that now I have mine done. Hey Pete, got anybody to help you with yours?:p

he he

I'm a geek, but I'm no guinnea pig....... Actually, with my luck the die will wear out halfway down my gear leg after cutting perfect threads on 66AP.

Been that kinda month.......

This is a good example of what happens to RV builders in Minnesota in the dead of winter when it gets 10 below and boredom sets in!!!!

I'm such a whimp

The best hero story I got was cutting the roof of my house off 2 days before the worst downpour Oregon has ever seen!

I am suitably humbled...:)

Frank

This is a good example of what happens to RV builders in Minnesota in the dead of winter when it gets 10 below and boredom sets in!!!!

Maybe we should ask them to design a high-capacity heat system for RVs. Up here on the left coast (Vancouver), it sometimes drops below freezing and it's too cold for us!

Maybe we should ask them to design a high-capacity heat system for RVs. Up here on the left coast (Vancouver), it sometimes drops below freezing and it's too cold for us!

Here in Minnesota we are all excited because the temperature is supposed to go way up to near freezing this weekend (yes, I know there are those in middle Canada where it is colder). We've been below zero F for about a week now.

Scariest part of flying in around zero F weather is listening to the canopy creak and crackle as it cools down from the hangar temp of around 45 F. I'm getting used to it, but it is really a grim sound.

This is Rick Liles in Lubbock Texas, and I have a builders assistance program and have built about 12 RV's. I have about 8 locals needing the nose gear mod, including myself, and I would like to know where you purchased the die. I have a full machine shop, but the 1-1/4-16 die is not a standard size. Was your die HSS steel?

Richard Liles
N682R RV7-A

A good die

Hi Richard,
A professional machine shop/fabricator/car crusher manufacturer friend of mine ordered a good Japanese die...or so I thought. He also gave me a can of outta this world cutting fluid. We started the split die on the existing threads, going about a half turn forward, then a half turn back. We also kept it well lubed but by the time the die made several rounds, it was dull.

I got worried about having to buy another gear leg if Langair couldn't fix my screw-up so I tried sharpening the die with a Dremel tool and after a full day of fighting it, it was done.......never again.

Kerrville can't be that far from you guys. Harmon uses a machine...a mill, I think to cut the threads. You may wanna reconsider.

My .02,

Wait a minute, they could always be ice fishing!!:rolleyes:

Many years ago my dad would be laid off from construction work this time of the year and would spend the winter on a lake ice fishing in his wood stove heated, pink and purple painted contraption of a fish house, which always stayed on the lake until spring when it sank. The following year he would build another one. I spent many hours as a kid in those creations, sometimes on a lake, sometimes on the Minnesota or Big Cottonwood Rivers. We'd sit there for hours looking down into bright relatively clear water from the dark interior. Great way to pass the time of dead winter and it was colder in those days. A foot or more ice was common.

I decided to comply with SB 11-11-9 and the leg has been shipped to Lancair - $75 for the work and less than $50 for shipping both ways. I'd ten times rather be ice fishing than cut those threads myself, but it does look like you guys are enjoying not being on the ice. :)

This is Rick Liles in Lubbock Texas, and I have a builders assistance program and have built about 12 RV's. I have about 8 locals needing the nose gear mod, including myself, and I would like to know where you purchased the die. I have a full machine shop, but the 1-1/4-16 die is not a standard size. Was your die HSS steel?

Richard Liles
N682R RV7-A

Yes, the die was HSS. We bought it from Walter Hammond Company, 612-781-seven four four one. They could get two different ones, one for around 45 bucks and one for around $125 IIRC. We bought the better one. I don't see a name on it, but it is made in Canada. With the unaided eye, I cannot see any sign of stress after doing one gear leg. Pete and I both can't believe that the die could take the kind of torque we put on it. If it was done with a flood of coolant, it might go much better. We really noticed that after just a small amount of work, it got hot enough to bind up (apparently).

Alex, I am glad I am down here in GA. I don't have enough muscle left to be trying to help you do that kind of physical labor. I don't have enough bengay.

Gary Specketer