JanRV6UK

Well Known Member
I am currently installing a Quadrant in my RV6 ? I have not seen any quadrants that have two independent levels of friction adjustments. Lets say one for the Throttle leaver and one for Mixture and CS adjustment. Is this something that might be a good idea ?? I think I could easily modify the quadrant I have to give me that feature ...

Just asking what you guys with far more flying experience than me :) .. might have to say about this ...

Good idea ... or a complete waste of time ??

I am currently installing a Quadrant in my RV6 ? I have not seen any quadrants that have two independent levels of friction adjustments. Lets say one for the Throttle leaver and one for Mixture and CS adjustment. Is this something that might be a good idea ?? I think I could easily modify the quadrant I have to give me that feature ...

Just asking what you guys with far more flying experience than me :) .. might have to say about this ...

Good idea ... or a complete waste of time ??

If you are using the quadrant sold by Vans, I'm not sure how you would implement two friction adjustments. The existing one is just a bolt that holds the various pieces together. The tighter the nut, the more friction it creates.

Personally I haven't found an issue with just having the one option.

If you are using the quadrant sold by Vans, I'm not sure how you would implement two friction adjustments. The existing one is just a bolt that holds the various pieces together. The tighter the nut, the more friction it creates.

Personally I haven't found an issue with just having the one option.

Personally for formation work I would like two separate friction settings. As it is, either the throttle has a bit more friction than I would like for the constant jockeying, or the prop control creeps forward.

I have no idea how you'd implement it though. I think the best setup for this use is really a standard vernier control for prop and mix, and a single lever quadrant for throttle.

Thanks for the feedback ....

So the reason for having the push pull control (vernier lock) on the mixture and prop when doing a lot of formation flying is because the issue of ‘single friction setting’ ... found on the normal quadrants .... That is interesting ...

Suppose if you ‘could’ have two friction settings .. would you (Walkman) then have had all the controls on the quadrant ? Or does the very fine ‘vernier’ control offer any other advantages that you do not get with the quadrant (i.e. easier to ‘turn’ than to ‘push or pull’ on the leaver for very fine adjustment .... ?) ... assuming you could adjust the friction independently for the mixture and the prop ... in relation to the throttle ?

Personally I like the small space the quadrant takes up ... and I like the ‘leaver action’ ... but I have been pondering over the single friction setting... So I have come up with an idea on how I can do two settings ... a bit of work is involved, but I wanted to hear what guys with more flying than me think of this idea ...

I have the DJM two lever throttle quadrant in my -9 and love it. Some day, I may switch my FP prop to a CS prop, if I can find an extra $10K laying round that isn't doing anything.

Should that happen, I will make a bracket that suspends the prop controller below the quadrant so I won't bump it in flight.

As for the single TQ friction lock, I haven't found that to be an issue. I don't lock it down very tight so that allows me to move the throttle without moving the mixture. However, on a recent flight in very bumpy conditions I bumped the friction lock and didn't realize it. Sure enough, when I pulled the throttle back the mixture came with it. It got my attention but as soon as I realized what was going on, it was easy enough to reset.

Thanks for the feedback ....

So the reason for having the push pull control (vernier lock) on the mixture and prop when doing a lot of formation flying is because the issue of ‘single friction setting’ ... found on the normal quadrants .... That is interesting ...

Suppose if you ‘could’ have two friction settings .. would you (Walkman) then have had all the controls on the quadrant ? Or does the very fine ‘vernier’ control offer any other advantages that you do not get with the quadrant (i.e. easier to ‘turn’ than to ‘push or pull’ on the leaver for very fine adjustment .... ?) ... assuming you could adjust the friction independently for the mixture and the prop ... in relation to the throttle ?

Personally I like the small space the quadrant takes up ... and I like the ‘leaver action’ ... but I have been pondering over the single friction setting... So I have come up with an idea on how I can do two settings ... a bit of work is involved, but I wanted to hear what guys with more flying than me think of this idea ...

Frankly if I were setting it up, and formation was in my mission (which it obviously is), I think I'd still have a single lever throttle quadrant and the other controls on a standard vernier cable. Its not a matter of fine control, its a matter of getting them out of the way. You rarely touch the mixture or prop in either formation or "just going somewhere", usually once after take off, and maybe once again at landing. In formation you are constantly moving the throttle.

Its all personal preference of course, I'm sure others feel differently.