David-aviator

Well Known Member
Temp dipped down to 19F around here last night and I really wondered if the trusty Lycoming would thunder to life.

Evidently, I have just about figured the right amount of prime with Don Rivera's AFP system, 4.5 seconds of prime with the throttle wide open, hit the starter and it came to life after 2 blades swung by....what a deal!

Four of us blasted off for a half hour flight for lunch. Not a bad way to live between storms in the Midwest during December.

Life could be worse....:)

No pre-heat?

None.

While it got down to 19F, inside the hangar the concrete floor kept the place much above that temp. I did not check it, but would guess it was about 25-30. I turned the engine through by hand and it was easy - the oil is Phillips 20W50 with a bottle of AVBLEND to keep the top end lubed.

Last edited:
Cold

I think my 4.5 year old Odyssey 680 is starting to degrade. The other day after working all night, I got in my plane to come home. The OAT was 35 degrees. I had trouble getting it to turn over. Finally, after a decent prime it fired.

Couldn't deal with your type of cold, David. Stay warm!!!!

In these cold temps it takes a little longer for fuel to turn to vapor. I prime my engine the first thing, attach seat belt and headset then start. Try waiting a while after priming before hitting the starter. I know you see I live near Las Vegas but the temps here get into the teens at night.

We are completely out of sorts with the recent actual cold temps. I think it was about 26F when Tanya went out to fire up yesterday morning. She said it took her four tries to get it lit.

None.

While it got down to 19F, inside the hangar the concrete floor kept the place much above that temp. I did not check it, but would guess it was about 25-30. I turned the engine through by hand and it was easy - the oil is Phillips 20W50 with a bottle of AVBLEND to keep the top end lubed.

It's a good idea to preheat below 40F if you have it. Starting is one thing, getting cold oil to flow into the journals is another. JMHO.

Last edited:
You can hear the oil pump cavitating at idle (not the end of the world, but also not good for the pump's metal surfaces) when the oil is below about 50 degrees. The pump will jam the oil through the discharge end, but it only has one atmosphere to push the oil into the pump. The sound is vaguely similar to that of a power steering pump that is low on oil. A growl of sorts.

I strongly recommend either pre-heating appropriately or keeping the cowl all covered up and heated from within. Tons of thoughts on that in these forums.

Try pouring a quart of your favorite oil in the engine at 32F.