jarvis

Well Known Member
1) Has Dynon really fixed their freezing problem with the new pin holes--or is it too early in the winter for anyone to have seriously tested the mod?

2) Will a Garmin AOA pitot work with Advanced Flight equipment?

1) Has Dynon really fixed their freezing problem with the new pin holes--or is it too early in the winter for anyone to have seriously tested the mod?

The new Dynon heated pitot tube was tested in one of the few icing wind tunnels in the country before we started shipping them. I fly it IFR on my RV-10 with complete confidence.

Rob Hickman
Advanced Flight Systems Inc.
N402RH RV-10

I can pass on very recent experience that a Dynon non heated AoA pitot tube can be apparently overcome by rain in flight. I managed to drown my airspeed indication on the D10A on a flight a few days ago in well above freezing temps. The AOA display was alternating between zero and full scale like a light show at a disco, and the airspeed seemed to hover around 500 knots. After I landed and dried out, all returned to normal.

Keep in mind that this is not meant to be a slam on Dynon in any way... It's possible that any pitot system would have died in the conditions I encountered. But it did take out my airspeed in flight.

The revised pitot head is not just some different holes. It is a complete redesign inside, and as Rob mentioned above, was tested thoroughly.

Rain and Pitot

Even in my limited actual IFR experience, all in spam cans, I've seen water affect the airspeed. Going into clouds, the routine was strobes off, Pitot heat on. Co I g out of clouds, reverse the procedure