prkaye

Well Known Member
I'm just cleaning up (deburring) some bulkhead parts to get ready to assemble my last few fuselage bulkheads. I'm amazed how flimsy some of these are. My 708L/R pieces both have a twist in them. i suspect this is from being squashed in the packing materials, and am about to clamp them flat to a table to help remove teh twist.... but i wanted to double check... these bulkhead peices aren't *supposed* to have a weird twist in them, are they??

Don't fret over the twist

Shirley and I gave each other one of those puzzled looks when we first handled them. THIS is going to carry our butts?

Don't fret over the twist, they will straighten out and become quite strong once cleco'd or riveted to the fuselage skins. You may need to flute where the curves are, just like any other part.

Thanks Alfio, I just had second look, and indeed the apparent twist is along a long curve where teh flange clearly needs some serious fluting.

Such is the beauty of a monocoque structure. Flimsy members transfer load from one to another, in shear through lines of rivets to form a stabilized shell that is as solid and efficient as nature's egg.

Who said engineers weren't poetic?

RE: QUIZ

Such is the beauty of a monocoque structure. Flimsy members transfer load from one to another, in shear through lines of rivets to form a stabilized shell that is as solid and efficient as nature's egg.

Who said engineers weren't poetic?

So you are telling me that an egg is strong.....ya......what about HUMPTY DUMPTY?

Is it possible to apply pressure to a non hard boiled egg and have it not crack or break. There is away..........Does anyone out there especially our engineers have the answer. It sure isn't rivets.:rolleyes:

Frank @ sgu RV7A Cowl!!!!!!!!!

An egg like an airplane is incredibly strong and protects it's contents from much that life throws at it. However a swift crack on the edge of a skillet for breakfast is more than either can stand:)