Bayou Bert

Well Known Member
All the wiring is run and I am now in the process of hooking
stuff together. One wire I don't know what exactly to do with is
the "Info Wire" from the TWC backup battery.
The TWC manual says you can hook this to your EFIS or EIS and it will
give you the voltage of the backup battery if it's not on. But then is says
if the battery is providing power it "the info line is pulled to a low logic level"
what ever the heck that means.
I have GRT equipment and Ben said he was not sure.
So, has anyone else used this wire to monitor the backup battery?
Any help greatly appreciated.

Bert,
I used the IBBS system to backup my G3X touch system. I found the IBBS manual to be written more for engineers than for pilots:D.

Download the G3X touch install manual, page 20-4 should help you out (even though you are not using garmin products). I connected the "info" wire to a voltage input on my engine monitor box; it will then display IBBS voltage on my G3X screen.

Bert, I tied that wire into my G3X EFIS.

It is a discrete active low that shows on my screen as "On Aux Power".

When I kick on the master, it disappears from the EFIS screen.

Certainly not required, but it is only one more wire to run.

It doesnt show aux battery voltage though.

:cool: CJ

What Kind of Wire?

Thanks, I haven't looked at the Garmin manual yet.
GRT EFIS provides a bunch of analog wires for stuff like tank levels,
trim indicator etc. Is that what I need to tie into?

Yea, I emailed TCW support about the "batt-info" wire a few days ago (wrt a G3x installation) which is not explicitly diagramed in the schematic. Here was their response:

"Page 4, item 7 of the manual describes pin 2. You may connect that up to an analog input on the g3x engine monitor and read the IBBS battery voltage."

Yea, I emailed TCW support about the "batt-info" wire a few days ago (wrt a G3x installation) which is not explicitly diagramed in the schematic.

G3X touch installation manual page 20-4 shows exactly how to integrate the new IBBS into the G3X system.

Hope this helps.

G3X touch installation manual page 20-4 shows exactly how to integrate the new IBBS into the G3X system.

Hope this helps.

Thx, I'm looking at that. I'm also integrating a VP-X, who's manual also has a section on TCW's IBBS - however it describes a different connector (even in the latest manual rev) on the IBBS, which makes it less useful. Hopefully, fusing all these sources will result in a working system on the first power up.

Thx, I'm looking at that. I'm also integrating a VP-X, who's manual also has a section on TCW's IBBS.

I would think you would want to keep the VPX and IBBS as two separate independent systems incase the VPX fails? Power1 inputs for the VPX and power 2 inputs for the IBBS. What is the advantage to integrating the two systems?

Here is how I wired mine.

image_024.jpg

Hope it helps.

Pin 5 isnt shown, but it does go to the Garmin discrete inputs. When pin 5 pulls an active low, it dings a message on the screen.

:cool: CJ

I would think you would want to keep the VPX and IBBS as two separate independent systems incase the VPX fails? Power1 inputs for the VPX and power 2 inputs for the IBBS. What is the advantage to integrating the two systems?

The charge circuit for the IBBS is going to run through the VP-X, however the IBBS master switch will be independent. Avionics backup power with be via the Power 2 inputs on the EFIS(s), ADAHRS and engine module.

CA

The shop that pre-wired my 6ah Li-Fe-PO IBBS for a G3X obviously got it confused with the 4ah NiMH and wired it incorrectly. No harm done as I was confused as soon as I saw Figure 20-1.3 filled in rather than 20-1.4. So I had to re-pin. No big deal.
Seems like there is a bit of confusion between the two floating around.

The Garmin and TCW install manuals are correct and consistent - as long as you correcty identify the hardware you are using :eek: