RBD

Well Known Member
I've used the search function and have learned that the rear pedals from Van's are not ideal. Are they adequate to do flight/transition training with? I do not currently have my TW endorsement, and the tentative plan is to do a few hours of dual in Ran's Coyote until I have a beginner's grasp of what I'm doing. We would then move to the -4, and I would fly backseat until my instructor is comfortable switching places. Does this sound like a reasonable plan to you guys, and are the rear pedals effective enough to do this? My last question: how much work is involved installing the pedals?

Last edited:
I did my transition training in a -6, and then a week later did the first flight in my -4. It was a non-event.

I'm afraid the view (lack of) and lack of access to ALL of the controls and instruments (critical) could be more problematic in the rear seat of the -4 than just doing it in a side by side.

That would be a judgement call by the instructor...

but like Dave says, flying a -4 from the back seat is NOT ideal. I've done it. Take-offs and landings are not fun.

I tried something similar and couldn't find an instructor nor insurance to go along with the idea. So I bought a Super Decathlon and all is well. I'd say if you can find an instructor and insurance (or do without) go-for-it. Having said that, I'm glad I did what I did with the 8KCAB.

I'm currently in the same situation of trying to get a tailwheel endorsement and RV training for an RV4 I am buying. The route I went is to get training from Mike Seager in the RV7. The insurance is requiring 10 hours of dual in an RV so I am getting that and my endorsement at the same time.

I am about half way through my training as I type this and highly recommend this option. As an instructor of sorts myself, I consider Mike to be an excellent instructor.

Besides, you can't beat killing two birds with one stone.

Transition Training

Take what you can get! I was fortunate enough to get almost 50 hrs in the back of my friends RV-8 and got to where I could land and takeoff without scaring both of us too bad! When it was time for me to fly my RV-7 for the first flight, because I could now see what was going on and I was used to the handling characterisitics, the first flight was no issue! Any RV flying you can get will help because nothing fly's like an RV! I come from all types of the single and twin versions of GA flying and I am now an RV snob!
Thank you Van's
Randy Utsey
RV-7 / N55CU
Charlotte, N.C.

Training

I'd also like to put in a plug for Alex De Dominicis. I spent a couple of days with Alex in Dallas after I bought my -4. He has a nice set up and after some hours with him in his -6, I was comfortable tackling the -4 on my own.

His website: www.rvtraining.com

Thanks for the replies....

Sounds like a visit to Mike, Alex, or probably Jan since he is in FL might be worked into the plan.

Anyone here retrofit rear pedals? Major surgery or fairly minor? Drilling holes to route the pushrods seems to be fairly easy, but I'm not so sure about the attach points for the pedals. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Training

I give training in your aircraft. RV's, Rockets. I travel to you free via the airlines, also first flights. 20 years in RV's. Many satisfied customers including RV-4's. 815 -519-3087

Rear Rudder & Brake Pedals

Can anyone describe/post pictures of a decent rear rudder pedal set-up in an RV-4 with brakes?

Thanks,
Andrew.

rear pedals

I have rear pedals, never did install though. The plane was never intended as a dual control. I had tail wheel experience in other planes and the 4 was a non event. In the old days a lot of pilots used a citabria for their transition and every thing worked out fine. A 6 or 7 would be perfect, but don't mess up what little space you have in the back with rudder peddals.

Rear rudder pedals

Steve, thanks for your candid response about messing up the space! Flying the thing doesn't bother me; conversion training is not the issue. My objective is to fly from the back and put family members in the front. Otherwise they will make me build side-by-side and I just can't get enthusiastic about that!

Flying from rear seat

Kiwi, I fully believe if you started building an RV4 with the intent of putting the pilots position in the back seat, such as a Christen Eagle or Xtra 300 you could make it work. I don't think doing it after the fact would be a very easy process S.B.

In the Pit...

Ryan,

If you have any tailwheel time, the RV4 is a piece of cake. After 1500 hours and alot of people learning to fly (13 buddies with RV4's), I don't recommend a back seat checkout. All the rear seat RV4 rudder pedals I have seen aren't capable of full travel and the flare sight picture is poor. I would rather see you get tailwheel proficient in something else first, then transition to the RV4. Van never designed the RV4 back seat to be more than a place for pretty girls less than 110 lbs to get rides...:)
My first RV flight was in a RV3, but I had a considerable amount of TW time. My first impression: very easy. You can get checked out in the -4 with someone in the trunk, but the flying qualities in the landing flare are very different. I checked out all of my RV buddies who bought -4's from chase in my RV4. It's not for everybody, but chase check rides and instruction in the F-16 is standard. I'm just more comfortable instructing from the wing. There are several RV6 checkout guys in FL who are very good. When I get home we can chat about a checkout for you...

Merry Christmas!
Smokey
HR2