alpinelakespilot2000

Well Known Member
Does anyone know where there might be a good tutorial on how to time magnetos? I didn't see anything in the archives, and the only EAA webinar I can find is a short 6-8 min. video that doesn't show the mags on the aircraft or how to align the prop to find the proper BTDC location, etc. Aerosport installed them originally and I'm now knee deep in my first condition inspection, needing to be walked through this part of it.
Thanks.

You tube

A quik you tube search shows a bunch of timing videos. I presume you are talking about external timing. (timing the mag to the engine) as apposed to internal timing (making the point open in relation to the magnet position) I am not current with recips, but if I recall correctly, the external timing is checked, and as long as it is within a degree or maybe two, then the internal timing is O.K. Rotating the mag to correct is acceptable. If it is out more than that then it indicates an internal timing issue due to worn points. It really helps to know exactly how close it was timed to begin with, and if any adjustment were made to correct worn points.
Slick or Bendix?

Thanks. I saw the Mike Busch EAA video. He offers a lot of good stuff about the mags but doesn't actually show the process for timing them to the engine, which is what I'm looking for. The short YouTube video Steve linked to above is close, just a bit too short to be real helpful. Still looking, but thanks for the suggestions so far.

steve, drop me a pm with your phone # and maybe i can help you get the info you need. :)

I was reading up on timing as I just did mine tonight. I read not to re-use a mag gasket if at all possible. I'm wandeing if they are refering to re-use if the gasket is removed or are they refering to replacement everytime the timing is adjusted. I've never replaced a gasket when adjusting. Tonight I adjusted the starboard mag from 26 back to 25 degrees.
Thanks Ron

No issues, Nate. Just have it on the checklist of things to check at annual.

I hear ya. I watched the one video posted above. For a maintenance newby like you and me, it doesn't answer BASIC questions like "how do you connect the timing meter?". Or "oh yeah, the impulse coupling is why nothing is happening on that mag!"
Or "do you really have to disconnect the P-leads or just turn the key on?"

I had an A&P friend come over for an afternoon to help and train on mag timing and leakdown test. I hope you can get the same help. Way better than video.