I have used turtle wax for glass work off and on for years so the other day when I was about to drill holes for one of my GPS antennas and I noticed a lot of surface corrosion I grabbed my trusty can of turtle wax and applied it liberally in a 1 foot circle where I planned on mounting my antenna. Long story short, it not only took the surface oxidation off but give it quite a shine.

Is there anything wrong with doing this same treatment to the entire plane?

Will this make it more difficult to paint later if I decide that O'Natural aluminum is not my final surface treatment?

"Can" at the ready :D

- Jim

Well, if you fly it in the nude for awhile, your gonna have to clean it with something anyway, minds as well be turtle wax.

Not ME!

I'm not naked, it's the plane.

BTW, I have leather seats. In the Texas sun, the last thing you want to be is naked when you sit on those :D

- Jim

Watch for silicone

A lot of car wax has silicone, which painters really hate (according to my paint guy). Wax without silicone is hard to find, but it's out there.

IMHO I wouldn't do it. It is too hard to get all the wax removed from around the rivet heads before painting, and then if you don't you can't get the paint to stick. If your going to polish you polish and if your going to paint you paint.......not both on the same surface without a lot of extra work. If you do decided to polish don't use any type of auto wax you'll be sorry.
Shine'r

Nice to know

OK! Many thanks for the warning.

So the net is let er rust until it's time to shoot paint or prime now and then paint? I thought most primers were hygroscopic ( they absorb water over time which is a bad thing in this case ) so you really should wait until just before painting to prime.

Sounds like my options are extremely limited here :confused:

- Jim

Hey there Jim... if you really wanna just shoot something on there to protect it well. I would just shoot a thin layer of P60G2 on it without scuffing. When its time to paint, you can easily wipe off the P60G2 with denatured alcohol, scuff, prime and paint.

-Jeff