Chappyd

Well Known Member
I'm fitting the spinner and cowl to my plane. Now the lycoming is new from Van's, and there is a tag on it stating that the preservation oil is good for 6 months. It also says to not turn the prop , or you must redo the preservative oil process. Well obviously when fitting the spinner, the prop is going to have to move to do the work. My plane is currently sitting in the basement of my home, nice and dry in the winter, but in the summer the humidity does rise. I have a dehumidifier running all the time in this weather, and I also have dessicant plugs installed in the top plug holes. It does stay fairly dry down there, I have balsa R/C planes that live down there for years with no problems. There is no mold or rust/corrosion on anything in my basement. However, I never had anything that cost $25K down there either :).

Should it be ok? Any precautions? Should I redo the preservative, and if so, how do I do it?
Thanks,

You should be OK. As an extra precaution, get some "fogging" oil from the aviation department of your local auto supply and spray the cylinder walls after you are through fitting the spinner.

We had a similar dilemma.

New TMX IO-360.

After 3 years fully inhibited on the aeroplane, we decided to give it a spin and re inhibit.

Had some work to do that meant turning the prop, but we had done various electrics etc.

Plugs out, sprayed a load of Boeing T9 down the holes and with 5 quarts of oil in, turned it on the starter until we got oil pressure. Let the starter rest while we were doing it, but it came up in 15 seconds in any case.

Sprayed T9 after the run and replaced the plugs.

Should be good for another 6 months now.

I have the same problem as Mike, getting ready to install the spinner and reinstall and time the P-Mags. I'm not worried about the cylinders, more concerned about the cams. Is there an easy way to pre-oil the cams prior to spinning up to pressure? (Hope this makes sense).

Larry

Building up oil pressure does NOT oil the cam lobes.

I have the same problem as Mike, getting ready to install the spinner and reinstall and time the P-Mags. I'm not worried about the cylinders, more concerned about the cams. Is there an easy way to pre-oil the cams prior to spinning up to pressure? (Hope this makes sense).
Larry
There is no way to pre lube the cam lobes. Unless you have the "nozzles", the cam lobes are only oiled by "splash".