ccsmith51

Well Known Member
My Cleveland pads need to be replaced and the discs need to be turned. I have replaced the pads before on my -4, easy to do with a friends rivet tool.

But, can the discs be turned? They are not flat, have a bit of a groove in them from I don't know what, that way when I bought the -6.

If they can't be turned is there a way I can tell which discs to order from ACS? They list a bunch of sizes, and Rapco lists lower cost options as well.

Thanks,

I'm not sure whether or not Cleveland allows the discs to be turned. Their on-line information will provide all you ever wanted to know about their products. To replace them, however, look carefully along the circumference (edge). The P/N is stamped there in small characters. To read mine, I had to use a loupe. Rapco provides cross reference data to Cleveland P/Ns.

I just replaced mine for the second time. Got about two thousand hours out of each set. Once they get to minimum thickness you should replace them.

Link to Cleveland Service Manual

Here is the LINK to the Cleveland Technician's Service Manual.

As others have said, you cannot turn the discs we use (as supplied by Van's Aircraft) on our RVs. Get new ones. Off the top of my head, there is only about 0.100" wear allowed on the disc. IF they are grooved, Cleveland recommends replacement. (from the above link, 0.167" is the minimum thickness for the 164-01700 disc used on my RV)

My experience is that at 1,000 hours of use, it may be time to replace the disc. Depending on brake use (or rather lack of use), they could last 2,000 hours.

Cleveland Part numbers used on my RV:
10-30 Master Cylinder
30-9 Caliper
40-78 Wheel
164-01700 Disc

Note: I have used both Cleveland and Rapco brake pads / discs. I have not been able to tell any difference in quality or service life.

Last edited:
Thanks for the help. A friend gave me a set of unused discs, and I bought new pads. All installed and now have full braking power!!