skyhawk4754

I'm New Here
Hello Everyone

Don't kick me off, I'm here from the POA board and I was doing a web search for turbo chargers for a o-300 Cont. with a wastegate and the search brought me to this forum......you must be the "Good Guys" eh.

Anyway is there anyone here that can point me in the correct direction. I have a 1957 C-172 with a o-300 that could use a little help on the high den alt days.

Thanks

Willie

If the aircraft is in the experimental category, I could help you match something up. If not, you'd have to see if anyone has an STC for this combo.

Willie,

Welcome to the VAF!

The straight tail 172's are great airplanes, light and simple.

You might be better off with an O-360 STC for that bird. It will be simpler and possibly more reliable. I know, the O-300 is a very smooth running six cylinder but it is long out of production so parts are hard to come by and should you turbo-charge it, you will be buying parts.

Just my $.02

Oh, and the O-360, engine mount, etc. might cost less than a turbo.

Last edited:
Yep, the 180 lycoming with a Constant speed prop should be what you are looking for. To the best of my knowledge no STC exsists for your application.

Willie,

Welcome to the VAF!

The straight tail 172's are great airplanes, light and simple.

You might be better off with an O-360 STC for that bird. It will be simpler and possibly more reliable. I know, the O-300 is a very smooth running six cylinder but it is long out of production so parts are hard to come by and should you turbo-charge it, you will be buying parts.

Just my $.02

Oh, and the O-360, engine mount, etc. might cost less than a turbo.

Would you be talking about the Continental IO-360KB or the Lycoming 360? Where would I head to get more info? Some people don't like handing out info unless your buying. I like to gather as much as possible b/4 I decide what to do and then make the purchase. My o-300 still runs strong and hope it will for awhile yet, but it does have 1650 hours on it so if I start to look now I won't be in a rush. I'm 6'3 260lbs and my son (taking lessons) is 6'5 250 lbs.....that doesn't leave a whole lot for mom and her stuff.

I'm sure there's one out there somewhere, but I'm not aware of any O-300 turbo installations, certainly never one from Continental itself. (Again, someone may find a drone or tank engine in the dark mists of TCM R&D, but I doubt it.) Just look at the lack of fins, and recall how hot the exhaust valves tend to run in this engine and the O-200.

There are really just two good options, I think: Do the Lycoming installation, which is available under and STC, or trade for a 180 or 182.

Marc

I fly a 57 also. I've looked at what you're wanting to do and couldn't justify it. The 180 hp conversion makes a great bird(especially when you move the little wheel from the front to the back during the conversion:cool:) but it's expensive. Lycoming O-360, mount, cowling, accessories, prop, stc, etc...

I'm pretty sure there's no stc for a turbo.

I would seriously look at selling it, taking the money it would take to upgrade, and buy a plane that fits the mission(180,182).

Just thinking out loud but considering fuel burn and some other factors you could probably buy another 172 and still come out saving money. Just a thought.

BTW, what do you consider high density altitude??

No way will I sell it.....it's a classic....I guess if I have a need for speed I'll have to do what you guys are doing and start working on a RV.
We have a 2100' grass strip at home and the other day the HDA was @4700' which compared to NM I'm sure that's not much, our elev is 1735' so it was somewhat of a change.