av8innz

Has anyone ever looked into fitting a Rolls Royce Alison C18 turbine
These are pretty bomb proof engines and they do not require the case half inspections like the larger C20 engines.
Now most Hughes/MD 500 helicopters have changed to C20 versions there are quite a few C18 's up for grabs.

Parts are available pretty much everywhere around the world
Very compact units and only weigh 136lb!!!

317hp (flight idle)
Fuel cosumption approx 130lbs/hr

no carb ice
Warm air to cabin/screens via bleed air
Runs on diesel or JetA1
no mixture control
Proven track record
(power/weight 136 Ib; 2.33 shp/Ib )

Output is 6,000rpm so need a 3:1 reduction gear box of some sorts.
Comments please.

What I know about Turbine engines in Amateur Built Aircraft in one sentence.

All turbine engine powered amateur built aircraft must have an approved FSDO maintenance program before you can get an airworthiness inspection.

turbine

That was fast!!
I assume the Manufacturers maintenance intervals /requirements would be adopted.
It was more a question of has anyone done this or looked into it yet.

Turbine power

317hp (flight idle)

no carb ice
Runs on diesel or JetA1
no mixture control
Proven track record

Comments please.

Turbine power would be wonderful in an RV. As a 12000+ hour turboprop pilot I would love to have turbine power in my RV8. But there are some very real reasons that there are no viable turbine powered RVs around. Let's go through your list:

136 pounds Basic engine yes, but what does the finished installation and extra fuel weigh?

317 HP Max output, not flight idle.

Fuel consumption approx 130lbs/hour 19 gallons per hour.

No carb ice. True, no carb! But the problems of inlet ice make carb ice look simple. For example, the CT7 GE engines have electrically heated inlet ducting powered by a dedicated alternator.

Warm air to cabin/screens via bleed air True again. but the bleed air coming out of the engine is something over 700 degrees F. Mixing valves needed to make it useable. You can also run a "pack" or air-cycle machine to make cool air but it is complex.

Runs on diesel or Jet-A True, a lot of Diesel or Jet-A. The burn number your quote is a little under 3 times the burn of a Lycoming. Oh, yeah the fuel is heavier too, 6.84 lbs per gallon vs 6.0 for gasoline.

No mixture control True again! But it does have a very complex fuel metering system and various governors.

Proven track record True. Well developed turbine engines are very reliable. The downside is cost. These engines were developed for military and commercial operations where they were to flown a lot and the cost could be amortized.

Reduction gear This can be a very complex engineering issue when you have to combine it with a way to control the prop. In the case of a single shaft turbine you will need to have a way to move the prop to "flat pitch" for starting. You might want to do a search on this site, lots of discussion of reduction gear systems.

Again, I'd love to see it work, but I'm not going to wait for it to happen.

John Clark
ATP, CFI, SA-227, BA-3100, SF-340
RV8 N18U "Sunshine"
KSBA

Check the search function

Has anyone ever looked into fitting a Rolls Royce Alison C18 turbine. Now most Hughes/MD 500 helicopters have changed to C20 versions there are quite a few C18 's up for grabs.

Very compact units and only weigh 136lb!!! (VERY expensive parts)

Comments please.
How much money for one of these?

Have you priced an impeller? More than may be a whole Lycoming new. May be not that much but probably $9,000 to $12,000?

Helicopter engine aren't going to have a gear box for a prop, or prop control. To work that little piece of engineering out might be a challenge and expensive. You may get the engine but not the fuel controllers and all the pumps and stuff to make it run. COST? BIG TIME.

There has been MUCH debate about turbines on these forums. See the search drop down in the tool bar? Type in "turbine" or "Innodyn". You will get all the Pros and Cons for putting a turbine engine in a RV.

Personally I don't think a turbine is a good match for RV airframes. RV's are made for 160-200 HP, 260HP for the RV-10. The airframes are made for 320-400 lb engines. RV have a Vne that would restrict speed. Fuel burn? Most RV's have small tanks.

The biggest draw back of turbines is the FF. Yes they are light and powerful but fuel burn per unit HP is much higher than a piston engine. Innodyne makes some unbelievable claims so ignore that.

I fly turbine aircraft and understand the allure, mystery and attraction to burn Jet A. However for a personal plane that will fly 100-150 hours a year, its kind of a waste, in my opinion. If you are rich and want to be the only one on the block with a turbine, there are better choices. It's probably going to be cheaper and better to buy a plane that was designed for a turbine, even certified factory plane. Frankly the new VLJ are looking interesting for the rich.

The Lancair IVP with a Walter (PT6 euro clone) is a better airframe to engine match. It's pressurized for one and it can hall four people. One of these IVP's are 1/2 mil at least, closer to 3/4 mil.

The Lancair IVP or a high gross utilitarian bush plane make more sense for a little turbine, the RV not so much.

Last edited:
Hi John.
Please see my notes relating to each point.

Turbine power would be wonderful in an RV. As a 12000+ hour turboprop pilot I would love to have turbine power in my RV8. But there are some very real reasons that there are no viable turbine powered RVs around. Let's go through your list:

136 pounds Basic engine yes, but what does the finished installation and extra fuel weigh?

I imagine the engine mount would be same if not lighter than std Lycoming,
Not sure what else would be needed, battery weighs same as std lead acid (or less even) fuel would be more but of course you would not be in the air for as long for any given A to B flight. I would be guessing but this HP should be able to generate a TAS of 220kts

317 HP Max output, not flight idle.
Correct

Fuel consumption approx 130lbs/hour 19 gallons per hour.
At 220kts that would be 1.7lbs/NM, not bad really!!

No carb ice. True, no carb! But the problems of inlet ice make carb ice look simple. For example, the CT7 GE engines have electrically heated inlet ducting powered by a dedicated alternator.
C18 has antice bleed (pilot selectable if visible moisture and OAT+<5 deg C)
so already catered for.

Warm air to cabin/screens via bleed air True again. but the bleed air coming out of the engine is something over 700 degrees F. Mixing valves needed to make it useable. You can also run a "pack" or air-cycle machine to make cool air but it is complex.
Can be sourced from any MD500 wreck or purchased new. all very 'manual' to operate, Just a duct with a mixer valve -straightforward to incorporate!!
Runs on diesel or Jet-A True, a lot of Diesel or Jet-A. The burn number your quote is a little under 3 times the burn of a Lycoming. Oh, yeah the fuel is heavier too, 6.84 lbs per gallon vs 6.0 for gasoline.

Not sure what normal endurance is for a RVx with a 300hp engine!! . However a 300hp lycoming does not exactly sip the avgas either, I would guess something like 15gal/hr so that would be 90lbs/hr versus the 130lbs/hr for the C18 so approx 44% higher burn rate for the turbine. In NZ Jet A1 is 30cent/litre (about $1.00/gallon) cheaper than avgas (25%) thats so difference is now down to only 20%, so this plus the much longer tbo for the turbine makes the case very strong for this C18 model, especially when Im flying over mountains or the Ocean (which is most the time in New Zealand)

No mixture control True again! But it does have a very complex fuel metering system and various governors.
This comes with the engine. once setup very rarely needs adjustment.
Proven track record True. Well developed turbine engines are very reliable. The downside is cost. These engines were developed for military and commercial operations where they were to flown a lot and the cost could be amortized.

Can pickup C18 with mid life components for about US$25k

Reduction gear This can be a very complex engineering issue when you have to combine it with a way to control the prop. In the case of a single shaft turbine you will need to have a way to move the prop to "flat pitch" for starting. You might want to do a search on this site, lots of discussion of reduction gear systems.

em good point, I will chew this over

Again, I'd love to see it work, but I'm not going to wait for it to happen.

John Clark
ATP, CFI, SA-227, BA-3100, SF-340
RV8 N18U "Sunshine"
KSBA

interesting points, thanks for the feedback. what do you think can be done re the prop issue.

cheers

Mark

How much money for one of these?

Have you priced an impeller? More than may be a whole Lycoming new. May be not that much but probably $9,000 to $12,000?

Helicopter engine aren't going to have a gear box for a prop, or prop control. To work that little piece of engineering out might be a challenge and expensive. You may get the engine but not the fuel controllers and all the pumps and stuff to make it run. COST? BIG TIME.

There has been MUCH debate about turbines on these forums. See the search drop down in the tool bar? Type in "turbine" or "Innodyn". You will get all the Pros and Cons for putting a turbine engine in a RV.

Personally I don't think a turbine is a good match for RV airframes. RV's are made for 160-200 HP, 260HP for the RV-10. The airframes are made for 320-400 lb engines. RV have a Vne that would restrict speed. Fuel burn? Most RV's have small tanks.

The biggest draw back of turbines is the FF. Yes they are light and powerful but fuel burn per unit HP is much higher than a piston engine. Innodyne makes some unbelievable claims so ignore that.

I fly turbine aircraft and understand the allure, mystery and attraction to burn Jet A. However for a personal plane that will fly 100-150 hours a year, its kind of a waste, in my opinion. If you are rich and want to be the only one on the block with a turbine, there are better choices. It's probably going to be cheaper and better to buy a plane that was designed for a turbine, even certified factory plane. Frankly the new VLJ are looking interesting for the rich.

The Lancair IVP with a Walter (PT6 euro clone) is a better airframe to engine match. It's pressurized for one and it can hall four people. One of these IVP's are 1/2 mil at least, closer to 3/4 mil.

The Lancair IVP or a high gross utilitarian bush plane make more sense for a little turbine, the RV not so much.
Hi George,
Flying helicopters, the idea of being able to Zip along at 210kts plus for 130lbs / hr consumption seems really good value.
Props seem to be the problem, and the airframe constraints are interesting.

I have just viewed the Innodyne site - not sure, all new and unproven Nothing like a RR badge for the confidence.

Negative

Good morning,
I own one of each......an RV-6A with a 180 Lyc and an Air Tractor with a PT-6-15/680 SHP and it burns 47 GPH working. Unless you can find an engine with a planetary gearbox/reduction unit like a PT 6 or Walter, the engineering alone would be a staggering cost to be done right. BTW, a new PT-6 costs around $275,000, used..$125,000. Walter can be bought for around 110,000. How many would you like?:D

I flew both these airplanes this weekend and a friends RV-4......just love the Lycs in them....well matched. That said, if you have the dollars and time, you are after all, in "Experimental" Aviation. It's just that most of us would rather fly a known product than experiment. Your call.

Regards,

Do you really get 130lb/hr fuel consumption at RV-type altitudes?

A turbine's efficiency is very pressure ratio-sensitive, so most turbines rely on the reducing atmospheric pressure at altitude to dramatically increase the available pressure ratio (atmospheric pressure being the denominator of the equation).

A

Turboshaft conversion

interesting points, thanks for the feedback. what do you think can be done re the prop issue.

cheers

Mark

Short answer, millions of dollars in engineering. You need a small version of the prop gearbox developed by GE for the CT7. The engine itself was developed for helicopter use. In order to convert it for aircraft use General Electric developed a stand-alone prop gearbox. The gearbox has it's own oil system allowing the use of a hydraulic prop govenor. It also has to be engineered to take the thrust loads from the propellor. A drawing and some specs at:

http://www.geae.com/engines/commercial/ct7/

Another, more practical problem is that you are proposing speeds that are beyond the limits of the existing RV airframes. I realize that we are talking experimental aircraft here but the FAA will not allow a turboprop aircraft to operate over Vno (Maximum Structural Cruising Speed) This eliminates the "yellow arc." In the case of my RV8, instead of having a "red line" of 200 knots it would be reduced to 168 knots, the "top of the green."

Instead of "reinventing the wheel" you might want to take a look at this:

http://www.legendaircraft.net

Regards,
John Clark
RV8 N18U "Sunshine"
KSBA

If someone could just find a way to make a piston engine SOUND like a turbine... I'd be a happy camper! :D

Has anyone ever looked into fitting a Rolls Royce Alison C18 turbine
These are pretty bomb proof engines and they do not require the case half inspections like the larger C20 engines.
Now most Hughes/MD 500 helicopters have changed to C20 versions there are quite a few C18 's up for grabs.

317hp (flight idle)

no carb ice
Runs on diesel or JetA1
no mixture control
Proven track record

Comments please.

I suspect your regs are different in NZ than the USA. In Canada we can do conversions like this more easily without a lot of red tape. A friend has Glasair with a 250 series turbine. The parts were hard to get, coming from many sources. Most hardware was similar to that used on turbine Bonanzas like here: http://www.tradewind-bonanza.com/bonanza/main.html.

Would he do it again? Nope, no way, no how. Way more expensive than he ever dreamed, parts for prop conversion very hard to find and $$$$, engine mount and propeller and cowling mods were time consuming and performance vs. fuel burn compared to say a 350hp turbocharged Conti or Lycoming makes it not worth it in his view.

My friend's company here is adapting a RWS planetary drive to step down the rpm to avoid the expensive gearbox, might work fine, might be many headaches. His business is doing turbine conversions including the one above: http://www.innovativewings.com/

Cool, yes, practical, probably not for RV airframes but don't let me discourage you.

Last edited:
Used to make my bike sound better...

If someone could just find a way to make a piston engine SOUND like a turbine... I'd be a happy camper! :D

A playing card pinned so that it would hit the prop as it turned.:p

Kent

Why izzit?

I realize that we are talking experimental aircraft here but the FAA will not allow a turboprop aircraft to operate over Vno (Maximum Structural Cruising Speed) This eliminates the "yellow arc."

Why are turbine aircraft limited to "green arc" operation only? I have not seen an explanation for that. Thanks, and pardon me for the attempted thread hijacking.

Yep real turbine

Hi George,
Flying helicopters, the idea of being able to Zip along at 210kts plus for 130lbs / hr consumption seems really good value.
Props seem to be the problem, and the airframe constraints are interesting.

I have just viewed the Innodyne site - not sure, all new and unproven Nothing like a RR badge for the confidence.
Yea 19 gph is pretty good but would you not want to zip along at 210 mph at 10 gph? I agree the Allison/RR is a real turbine and the Innodyne is kind of a toy, with no real fuel/prop control, or at least sophisticated fuel/prop controls typical of tubro-props. Yes the whole gear box, prop control and fuel controller is the challenge.

When you are in the 400HP range and under, the PISTON ENGINE rules on economics and practicality. You will burn 1/2 the fuel with piston engine. Now when you get into the +400HP piston engine, you're talking a turbo-geared-supercharged-6/8 banger or a radial.......so turbines start to earn their keep. Under 350 hp forget the turbine. It's more a novelty in the low HP range. If your making a living with a plane turbines rule because of the reliability and maintenance schedule / TBO, but cheap they never will be.

Now if I was going to do a turbine kit plane, my first choice the PT6. Too expensive? The Lancairs are using the cheaper East Euro PT6 copy, the Walter. They where cheap for awhile when first imported, like $60K for a used engine, props $15-20K?? The price has gone up. It has gas coupled core to prop section (like a PT6), that makes starting easier, verses direct drive turbines. The Walter starts in the +600HP range, not 300 hp. Some models of the Allison/RR 250 are setup for planes, but not sure how to get one since they are not many flying on planes.

My second choice is based on personal experience flying the Metro, the Garrett TPE331. I'd look for a total FWF set-up, off a Mitsubishi MU-2, Swearingen/Fairchild Metroliner or BA Jetstream. The full meal deal would include: prop, gearbox, strain gauge torque meter, turbine core, prop/fuel controller integration and accessories, all in a super small package. The down side is the base line is around 900 hp, way too much for a RV. You can "de-rate", but what about a RV airframe? Forget it. It would be capable of +300 kts TAS. That's a little over Vne for RV's. Let say you found one with time left on it. It's going to cost some coin. Turbo-prop means BIG cash to buy and feed. I think that is the reality you are not gripping. The planes I fly can burn 20,000 lbs/hr of fuel in climb! Spectacular yes but would not (could not) pay for it.

Ag planes and utilitarian planes like the Cessna Caravan are good turbine platforms. The Lancair IVP I'm sad to say has a poor safety record, especially the turbines or "Propjet" models. A turbine IVP is for sale on salvage right now, due to landing accident and/or loss of power. There where also 3 fatal Lancair "Propjet" accidents in the last year, killing 7 people. It's not as bad as the BD5J, the other jet dream. My point, little planes and turbines tend to not mix well. Airshow pilot Wayne Handley almost got killed in his turbo-prop acro plane. To me, "turbine" or jet spells work, utilitarian, more than sport plane. I like the "suck-squeeze-bang-blow" of the piston engine. When I win the lottery I'd skip the turbo prop and get a VLJ, little jet or a older used Citation 500, which I have a type rating in.

Last edited:
You guys have hit the nail on the head.

Lets set up a mini merlin factory, I would put up with Piston engine drawbacks if I could sit behind a merlin:cool:

Short answer, millions of dollars in engineering. You need a small version of the prop gearbox developed by GE for the CT7. The engine itself was developed for helicopter use. In order to convert it for aircraft use General Electric developed a stand-alone prop gearbox. The gearbox has it's own oil system allowing the use of a hydraulic prop govenor. It also has to be engineered to take the thrust loads from the propellor. A drawing and some specs at:

http://www.geae.com/engines/commercial/ct7/

Another, more practical problem is that you are proposing speeds that are beyond the limits of the existing RV airframes. I realize that we are talking experimental aircraft here but the FAA will not allow a turboprop aircraft to operate over Vno (Maximum Structural Cruising Speed) This eliminates the "yellow arc." In the case of my RV8, instead of having a "red line" of 200 knots it would be reduced to 168 knots, the "top of the green."

Instead of "reinventing the wheel" you might want to take a look at this:

http://www.legendaircraft.net

Regards,
John Clark
RV8 N18U "Sunshine"
KSBA
Many thanks John,
Great to have the feedback.

cheers

Mark

This would be a good combo with the Glassair/Lancair crowd. Just put a nice piston on it. Lycoming O-360 is BY FAR more reliable than a home-brewed turbine setup would ever dream of being.

What about Soloy?

Soloy made conversions for many different planes that started with Piston Engines and went with Turbines. They might have the gearboxes. not much knowledge here, just a thought.:rolleyes:

Allison 250

Soloy made conversions for many different planes that started with Piston Engines and went with Turbines. They might have the gearboxes. not much knowledge here, just a thought.:rolleyes:

The Soloy (Allison 250) conversion has been around quite a while. As they say, works fine, lasts a long time. At 400, the horsepower is too high for what we are discussing here. And the same old problem, cost. The whole conversion for a Cessna 206, flrewall forward and instruments is $474,000. I couldn't find a price on the gearbox by itself, but the overhaul cost is $48,000.

John Clark
RV8 N18U "Sunshine"
KSBA

This would be a good combo with the Glassair/Lancair crowd. Just put a nice piston on it. Lycoming O-360 is BY FAR more reliable than a home-brewed turbine setup would ever dream of being.