SteinAir

Well Known Member
Hi Guys,

Just a quick note. If you are one of the first customers who received your harnesses earlier in the year and have a tunnel harness installed, please refrain from powering up your plane and or systems until you verify the serial number of the harness. There were a small number of harnesses shipped from Van's (and built by us) to a now superseded drawing of an early revision/release level.

The affected harnesses are serial numbers: 0209000 through 0209011.

Please look at the serial number on your tunnel harness paperwork and if your harness falls within that range please standby and hold for further instruction. It is not a major issue, but still one that needs corrected none-the-less. Van's is working through a service notification which will detail the solution and should be available shortly. If your fuel pump is not working and you have a very early harness, this is likely the cause of your fuel pump not working. If your harness does not fall within the above serial number range there should be no issue.

Best Regards,
Stein

We have 3009

Hi Stein,

We have one of the Tunnel harnesses in the serial range you mentioned. I'm not afraid of wringing out wiring if this would help. Can you provide a pin-out with wire colors/destinations on the correct harness so we can help figure this out? If we also had a pin-out description for the control-panel connections we could do this ourselves and not have to keep begging for crumbs. I'm willing to verify every pin if that's what it takes. :)

Also, before we power up I'd really like to verify that power and ground for all the avionics are correct. This is SOP for wiring and I'd like to do it as well.
I understand part of the purpose of pre-testing the harnesses is to eliminate this step. I'm just a little paranoid right now.

Thanks,

-Neil

I think Van's will be providing further guidance as to the fix for the affected harnesses asap. It might take a few more hours before it all gets sorted out, but believe me everyone is working on it. As soon as a good workable solution is figured out it will be published. Please just hold tight a little bit longer....

I know Van's appreciates your patience on this...I do to.

Thanks much,
Stein

My fuel pump did not work when I powered up the system (with the voltage regulator UNPLUGGED). The wire for the fuel pump was in the wrong position in the 37 pin connector. John Bender had the same problem. And yes, both of us got one of the initial kits.

Should of kept that wire harness testing paperwork. I have NO idea if my serial number was one that Stein had mentioned. BUT, I did have the problem! AND we have fixed it.

Last edited:
Good point...keep ALL of the pertinent paperwork for any component that you receive which is serialized. It's serialized for a reason and the paperwork is provided for the same reasons, it's the only way to accurately know if your components have bulletins or revisions applied to them, etc.. Start a folder and just put that paperwork in it for future reference.

Cheers,
Stein

RV builders are pretty patient people... most of the time. :eek:

If not before they start building, they will be soon after... ;)

Serenity Now..... Serenity NOW..... Serenity.... Now! :D

To: Steiner & Van's,

We know you are working on it, just let us know what you are working on! We greatly appreciate the updates....and maybe we can help!

Last edited:
Good point...keep ALL of the pertinent paperwork for any component that you receive which is serialized. It's serialized for a reason and the paperwork is provided for the same reasons, it's the only way to accurately know if your components have bulletins or revisions applied to them, etc.. Start a folder and just put that paperwork in it for future reference.

Cheers,
Stein

Hi Stein,

OK we keep the paper but where are the serial numbers on each of the cables for those who may not have? I assume that all serialized parts have the serial numbers permanently marked on them, for if they do not one has no way to know just after they leave the plastic bag.

Best regards,
Vern

The affected harnesses are serial numbers: 0209000 through 0209011.

My tunnel harness serial is # 0309015 and my fuel pump works.

Brad Stiefvater
Salem SD

I verified that the big red wire in the tunnel harness is pinned to #29 on the DB-37 which matches Joe's spreadsheet info which comes from his harness. So, either we're both right or we're both wrong. As our harness is serial #9 it should be wrong if Stein's serial range is correct.

Stein or Vans: could someone please confirm if this is right or wrong and if this is a good tell-tale to indicate if our harness has a problem? Also, are there other pin problems with this harness? Prelim power-ups of the dynon alone with all harness attached show that all the sensors are pinned correctly and the OAT and heading info is getting through.

It will...

take a while... Van's will respond as it makes it's way thought the technical departments, Stein, well he will respond if he wants to. Best thing to do is pin it out yourself if you were supplied a drawing.

I verified that the big red wire in the tunnel harness is pinned to #29 on the DB-37 which matches Joe's spreadsheet info which comes from his harness. So, either we're both right or we're both wrong. As our harness is serial #9 it should be wrong if Stein's serial range is correct.

Stein or Vans: could someone please confirm if this is right or wrong and if this is a good tell-tale to indicate if our harness has a problem? Also, are there other pin problems with this harness? Prelim power-ups of the dynon alone with all harness attached show that all the sensors are pinned correctly and the OAT and heading info is getting through.

I'm not Van's or Stein, but, I had one of the bad harnesses. My fuel pump did not work initially. I believe the large (#18) fuel pump wire should be in Pin 29. Mine was in pin 30. If it is in Pin 29, your fuel pump should work. So far, I have not seen any other problems with my tunnel harness.

Thanks Marty

Sounds like our harness, though in the affected serial range, is correct for the Fuel Pump power. We are leaving the power off until official word comes down about the Regulator and wiring issues. Everything I could verify looks right and the regulator wiring matches other Rotax docs we have seen.

-Neil