jackking123

I'm New Here
Sorry Newbie question. Searched and found nothing. Simple question what shape/weight tungsten bucking bar do you recommend (for tight places, riveting on bottom wing skin or back fuselage skins, etc).

I am not new at building and have a BOX full of bucking bars. Been awhile since last project, +$170 for a 1.3lb to 1.5lb bucking bar for being denser for tight spaces is hard for a cheap skate.

Of my +10 bucking bars my smallest 3 bucking bars are 7oz, 1lb and 1.47lb.... I don't use the two light ones unless I have to, and where tungsten comes in? The 1.47lb one is like a cube with one side cut at angle about 1.75 x 3.5 x 1.75.

I want the bucking bar weight as as much as practical. My large Big Bertha is 3.87 lbs. I will use it almost always if I have room. I have a bunch in the middle plus the 3 "light" bars.

• Do you think it's worth it?
  • What shape, weight, vendor's do you recommend?
  • I have a friend with a tungsten bucking bar (hint borrow as needed, ha ha).

I'm going to guess that about 50% of my rivets were bucked with a small tungsten bar - sort of like you describe. 2 inches long, 1/2 inch thick, with an angle on one end and a square end on the other. 10% were done with a tool steel bucking bar that had a bunch of complex shapes for really hard to reach situations. The other 40% were back riveted for large sections like the fuselage or wings, where backriveting can be done quickly and consistently.

Most people I've talked to have a small variety of bucking bars for various needs. The best actual size and weight really depends on your hand size, strength, fatigue, etc.