I've seen 800x on RV-8s in the past. Seems to work well. You lose about 8 knots without wheel pants but who cares if the plan is to go into rough fields? The 800s are plenty big enough for most small, wet, soft fields. Not the same of course, as the big donuts you see on Mauls that are landing on sandy river beds. Not even sure how you would mount those on the low wing, but if you figure it out, you GOTTA post a photo here! HA.

Never seen one with tundra tires...but there was a well known RV7 on floats a few years back so anything is possible. And I agree...I want to see pics!

Tundra tires....or....?

So, I have to say that I'd be tempted, the day they come up with a large footprint tire that costs less than $1500 a side!! :eek:
Really, that 1930's technology - courtesy Goodyear....., a big bag of rubber?
surely a large lightweight rim with a lozenge shaped cross-section would work as well, and be a lot lighter...????

(Okay, I'd have to put the little wheel in back first!) :)

So, I have to say that I'd be tempted, the day they come up with a large footprint tire that costs less than $1500 a side!!

They don't have to cost quite that much. I have a friend who flies a Husky with big tires and they are half the price of ABWs. They are basically (yes, you guessed it) Goodyear blimp tires. I'm told they wear better/last longer as well.

Greg

A little piece of tundra tire history... The original tundra tire was invented in Ottawa, Canada, by a fellow by the name of Russ Bradley, owner of Bradley Air Service. His company was doing a lot of support in Canada's far north using Super Cubs. He figured higher flotation would get him in and out of tighter spots so he paid to have moulds built and then had Goodyear cast the tires. For many, many years Bradley had the design rights, STC's etc. At one point they were sold off when the company started operating bigger airplanes. I'm hangared across the taxiway from where they operated their home base for many years.

26"x6"

They don't have to cost quite that much. I have a friend who flies a Husky with big tires and they are half the price of ABWs. They are basically (yes, you guessed it) Goodyear blimp tires. I'm told they wear better/last longer as well.

Greg
I picked up a used set of 26" goodyear blimp tires and put them on my Chief. They are really stiff and heavy. By the time I got the pressure low enough to help cushion, they were rolling on the rims. To much air and they bounce. Nothing like real "tundra tires" for rolling over big rocks. They do help give a little flotation and higher angle of attack. I am currently running 850's and am keeping the 26" for the RV-9. The load rating for the goodyear 26" is to much for my little airplane.