striker

Our new hanger requires us to push the plane up an incline into the hanger. Has anyone used a tug ( electric or gas ) that accepts the low profile of the RV with a nose wheel pant? Many thanks for any input.

Pete Joslin
RV-6A 110.5 hours
IO-360 ECI Titan Engine
Sam James Holy Cowl

Pull instead of push?

Have you considered an electric winch in the back of the hangar? With a long switch cable you can guide the plane while pulling it up the incline. This is what I did when I had a similar situation with my Mooney. Much cheaper than a tug.

It doesn't sound like this will apply to your hanger but ...

A friend used an electric winch to pull his Stearman in and out of his hanger.

He would insert a piece of bart sock with a pulley attached at the top in a hole out in front of his hanger. Then he would run the winch cable under the plane out to the pulley and back to the plane.

When it was time to put the Stearman way, he just connected the cable to the tailwheel.

striker said:
Our new hanger requires us to push the plane up an incline into the hanger. Has anyone used a tug ( electric or gas ) that accepts the low profile of the RV with a nose wheel pant? Many thanks for any input.

Pete Joslin
RV-6A 110.5 hours
IO-360 ECI Titan Engine
Sam James Holy Cowl

I have used the gas "towbars," lawn tractors with hydrostatic transmissions, and electrice golf carts.

My preference is the golf cart if you can find one used, because it's useful to have around the airport. You'll need a sturdy, secure towbar and may need to modify the golf cart slightly.

The elctric carts will generate an amazing amount of torque, and need minimal maintanence. I've owned one for years, and used to push a Cessna 337 up a ramp with it (3500#)

Sometimes lawn tractors can be had cheap, and they work well, but are terrible for running around the airport (might as well walk).

Battery powered hand unit

I have one in the hanger. It works great but with 6 RVs in the hanger, each type needs its own fork to fit either nose or tailwheels. The old style nosewheel pants are not as wide as the newer type. If you get the correct size fork it will work well for you.