Gsuit

Well Known Member
Ok. I've got myself a "new" used imperial tubing bender with no instructions - and have no idea how to use it accurately. By that I mean, I can make pretty bends, but when I try to make a fuel line, with 180 bends on either end, I cannot figure out how to measure out the right length of tubing. I keep coming up either too short, or too long. It seems that once the 180's are bent, you can't (shouldn't?) try to straighten it out and bend in a different location.

How can I nail the length spot-on, the first time? :eek:

Tube bending

Imperial Eastman has a set of instruction on the use of your pipe bender. I'm sure your can get one from their site. If not, Email me and I'll send you a copy.
T88
RV10
[email protected]

Measuring bends

Gsuit said:
Ok. I've got myself a "new" used imperial tubing bender with no instructions - and have no idea how to use it accurately. By that I mean, I can make pretty bends, but when I try to make a fuel line, with 180 bends on either end, I cannot figure out how to measure out the right length of tubing. I keep coming up either too short, or too long. It seems that once the 180's are bent, you can't (shouldn't?) try to straighten it out and bend in a different location.

How can I nail the length spot-on, the first time? :eek:
When you put the tube in the bender, mark the spot where the bend begins (my bender clearly identifies that point), and make your first bend. Now lay it on a table and measure the distance from that mark to the outside of the bend. Next measure the total outside length you want. Subtract the distance you measured from the first bend and mark that point on the tube from the first mark. That is where your second bend should start (line up with the point on the bender where you made the mark in the first step).

If you are using soft tubing (O condition), you can do some re-bending, but obviously you want to keep it to a minimum.

Dennis Glaeser
7A Wings done - fuselage coming...