Tony Partain

Well Known Member
I am looking for any reference material on tube and fabric construction. A good book or two would be great. I?ve been dreaming of building a bush plane for a while.

So the short list is Airframes Inc (Super cub kit very nice but pricey), Kitfox Super Sport, Just Aircraft Highlander, Rans S6.

I know this isn?t RV related but we have a very diverse and intelligent group that is not afraid to state an opinion. Let the fun begin!

BTW I had the plane up for sale and had a couple of people ready to buy, but I couldn?t do it. Too much time and effort in this project to let it go.

not an add or endorsment but. . .

Tony,
I covered a Challenger II using the polyfiber brand materials. Here is a link to their website where they have several books on covering with fabric. I used the "How to Cover an Aircraft Using the Poly-fiber System" book when I covered my airplane. It is very easy to read and very informative. I highly recommend it if you are looking for an instructional how-to book. Although they specifically call for using their materials the methods should be the same no matter who's material you use.

Here is the link to their website: http://www.polyfiber.com/info/index.htm

RVbySDI said:
Tony,
I covered a Challenger II using the polyfiber brand materials. Here is a link to their website where they have several books on covering with fabric. I used the "How to Cover an Aircraft Using the Poly-fiber System" book when I covered my airplane. It is very easy to read and very informative. I highly recommend it if you are looking for an instructional how-to book. Although they specifically call for using their materials the methods should be the same no matter who's material you use.

Here is the link to their website: http://www.polyfiber.com/info/index.htm

Ditto the above. I have recovered a Ka-4 glider and a Citabria. The above book tells you everything you need to know in a very readable format.

... Bill

Tony: I concur regarding the Polyfiber (nee S****) manual. Fabric work is very rewarding, especially if you are bringing an old classic back from the dead. I recently bought "Construction of Tubular Steel Fuselages" published by Aircraft Book Company www.ACtechbooks.com. (The author is not named.) I am not very good welder (yet) but someday I'm going to weld up a steel tube fuselage. For an introduction to gas welding look at "Welder's Handbook" by Robert Finch published by HP Books. A torch and tanks are only a few hundred dollars and can be very handy for other things while you teach yourself to weld thin wall tubing. I have welded up a few special purpose wrenches and tools, for example. Have you looked into the Bearhawk? There is also a 2 place tandem version called a Patrol. I know many people favor TIG but you still need a torch for heating even if you have a TIG machine. I am told that gas skills readily transfer to TIG but I have only tried TIG in a booth at Oshkosh so I can't say much, but TIG did seem to be learnable.....I see that the naughty word deletion program has censored Ray S-T-I-T-S' name. I swear (!) I spelled it right.

After using several fabric systems (grade A, Ceconite and dope, S****) the Airtech system is hands down the best. It is a LOT less work and the results are excellent. Also long term durability is superior. We did an AgCat in Airtech 5 seasons ago and there is only a couple of small nicks in the horizontal leading edges. We are redoing another AgCat that was done in S**** 6 years ago because the leading edges are about gone and the rest is faded and falling apart. Don

Speaking of Oshkosh - If you go next year sit in on the Polyfiber covering classes. I was also considering the Bearhawk, and was curious about fiber covering. After the Oshkosh seminar I'd have no reservations in taking on a tube and fabric project. And the best part - it's free if your there anyway!

Tony-
Just last night at our EAA meeting, some of the guys from Yakima Aerosport/Dakota Cub at Yakima were talking about a fantastic new water-based process for fabric covering. A few who are really experienced in fabric construction said it is by far the easiest, safest, least espensive, most durable fabric covering process they have ever used. It is produced (?) by a couple of guys up in Cashmere, WA. They apparently offer classes in it a couple times a year. I've done no fabric myself, but just thought I'd pass along the rave reviews I heard. If you are interested, let me know and I'll get more information. Good luck.
Steve

Last edited:
Steve the guy is Yakima are a blast!. We hauled a Cub to them a few weeks ago and it was an experience. They have a great kit but the Cub kits are EXPENSIVE. I'll give them a call.

I had a little experience with tube and fabric. Owned a pretty little 90 hp '44 J-3 a few years back. Had to do a little fabric and paint work during that time. Polyfiber/polytone system is pretty straightforward stuff. Provides a nice looking, durable finish/fabric.

Point of my post, look at the WagAero Sport Trainer and their other copycat models. There are quite a few prefabricated components for these kits. Might be a good way to get a Super Cub-like plane.