flickroll

Well Known Member
I am redoing the panel in my RV-8. The mission of the airplane will be VFR with occasional IFR/IMC, and I'll be installing the following:

G430W
SL30
GTX327
GMA240
G696
AFS 4500 EFIS
AFS 3400 EFIS and Engine Monitor
TT DigiFlight II VSVG (AFS version)

Getting all of this stuff to fit has been a jigsaw puzzle, and one criteria was to have the TT AP screen in my normal field of vision. The only way to do this is with the flat pack control head, the 2 1/4" round version will not go. The result is I can BARELY get all of this to fit, however the resulting panel has a lot of metal cut away, and the 2 AFS units are not aligned in any way. I would like to get them in alignment, and also have a panel with more original metal left in it.

I have been jockeying with equipment position for a long time now, and it looks like if I take the AP control head out of the main panel I will get symmetry of the AFS units (bottom of the bezels horizontally aligned), and the resulting panel will not be quite as flimsy. I realize it will stiffen up when equipment is installed, but I would like to start off with a panel that is as strong as possible.

I would need to move the AP control head to an existing hole in the in the left side panel. I am concerned however about being able to view the control head without a lot of noggin movement since it would not be in my normal field of view. I don't think it's a big deal to glance at it to make a mode change, but one concern is the control head indicates out of trim conditions, and if it's not in my normal field of view perhaps I would not see them as I should. Also, you do need to look at it when it automatically switches modes to make sure it did what you wanted it to! In my existing panel the Dynon displays indicate out of trim and it is obvious when I need to do something.

So my question is how viewable is the DigiFlight II from a relatively sharp angle? How viewable is it in direct sunlight, and would the sun tend to wash out the display more at this angle? How important is it to have the control head in front of the pilot, without having to move my head? Back in my Bonanza days the AP head was not in my normal field of vision, however that system had auto-trim and a panel annunciator for mode, so the only time I had to look at it was when I made a mode change. I suppose I could install TT's autotrim feature, but I really don't want to do that if at all possible. I wish TT had a remote annunciation feature, but they don't. I've attached a picture of my current panel. The proposed location of the TT head is in the 2 1/4" hole just left of the transponder. Thoughts and comments appreciated!!

Thanks

web.jpg

Last edited:
DOH!!!

I just realized the AFS screens display AP mode selection, so the only thing that would be out of my normal scan area is out of trim indication. So the question now becomes how big of a deal is it to not have this information in my normal field of vision? I also still have concerns about screen viewability in direct sunlight and at an angle. Thanks!!

Bump

Would appreciate any feedback on the viewability of the DigiFlight II screen from an angle. Also how viewable in direct sunlight. Thanks

Doug -

I want to make it IFR capable. Right now there is no backup attitude information, nor is there an approach capable GPS. What I have is a very nice VFR panel, but not so good for IFR.