sjhurlbut

Well Known Member
Looking for a good source for a new TSO'd altimeter. Standard 3 1/8" and no lighting. Cheapest replacement I found so far was Chief Aircraft, United at $796.

My altimeter is toast and my IFR certification needs to be updated in 3 weeks.

Thanks
Steve
7A Flying + 2 years

TGH Aviation

I got a United 5934P-3-A83 from tghaviation.com last year for $640.

If I remember correctly, they had a better price on their website then when I called them. They honored the website price when I placed the order.

Last edited:
Hi Steve,

Is it for your -7? If so, it technically doesn't have to be a "certified" altimeter to keep it IFR legal....but if you're talking Cessna or Piper or something, then you'll need one.

Other than using a Non-Certified Altimeter, you're probably stuck with a United - they are darned good alimeters though!

Cheers,
Stein

Different in Canada?

Stein,

Yes for my -7. May be different in Canada. I have wrestled with this very topic several times and all avionics shops here so far tell me it must be certified.

Do you sell them?

Steve

Last edited:
Hi Steve,

It's been awhile since I poured over the regs for Canada....and even then my main knowledge is with the 121 equivalent stuff so I'll admit upfront I'm not sure. I know we've done panels for other Canadians without certificated altimeters, but I'm not sure what the builders did for IFR certs. Down here, there are some uneducated avionics shops and FSDO's that try to require people to have cert'd altimeters, but truth is that it's just not required here.

Sorry I don't know the answer...also, we don't sell them, as we'd probably only see a few a year.

Cheers,
Stein

We have the same problem down under with avionics shops who only do charter and RPT work.

The ONLY requirement is for your primary navigation source ie a GPS to be TSO'd and say a GNS430, well now you have GPS/NAV & COM all in one!

I still went for an OHC TSO'd altimiter just to keep em happy. Yes it was about $600-700 in USD.

DB

Since money seems to be an object, check Quality Aircraft Instruments in Wichita, KS. They have overhauled units for $395, or $295 exchanged. They advertise in Trade A Plane all the time.

US reg?

Can someone link me to the US regulation stating the TSO (or non TSO I should say) regulation for amateur built aircraft and IFR flight.

Thanks
Steve
7A Flying +2 years