N941WR

Legacy Member
Hi gang,

I'm sitting in Charlotte's airport waiting for my flight to LGA. (Rain is expected so the -9 has to stay in the hangar.)

When I checked my bag the lady noticed the cheap lock on the bag and asked me if it was a "TSA lock". I have never heard of such a thing.

Not that those luggage locks are very secure but now we are expected to put a lock on our luggage that allows other people to open them?

God, how I hate this post 9/11 travel!

The TSA locks are typically 3 number combinations locks for luggage that have a small key hole at the bottom that can be opened with a standardized TSA key. They are usually marked as such near the keyhole.

Enjoy.

Yes, if for whatever reason the TSA decides to open your bag and it has a non-approved lock on it, they'll cut it off and put a tag on your bag indicating that they did so.

They did this to me a while back when I had some electrical equipment in a carry-on.

Yes, if for whatever reason the TSA decides to open your bag and it has a non-approved lock on it, they'll cut it off and put a tag on your bag indicating that they did so.

They did this to me a while back when I had some electrical equipment in a carry-on.
I have a router in my bag bag but for me it doesn't seem to matter, they always open my bags. :(

I wonder if the PPL and CCW I have has anything to do with it.

What I've found that works is plain ole tie wraps. TSA will cut them off and replace them should deem an inspection necessary. You just need to keep a set of dykes or something to cut them off in a side pocket.

It's according to the airport. Some airports still don't have equipment to scan checked bags. In those airports each bag is still checked by hand. At ATL, they have a pretty sophisticated (read: expensive) system that is pretty much automated. Security screeners sit in a room and stare at images of the bags as they pass through the x-ray. If the screener sees something suspicious, he/she can mark it and it will be automatically separated from the normal flow for manual inspection.