ILikePike

Well Known Member
I currently use a Garmin 696 on a yoke mount in my Bonanza. I keep it current and use the xm weather. My Bo has a King 90B. I also use a Dynon D1 for backup in my Bo. Having to pay to keep the 696 current to use in my Bo, I would like to use it in my 8. I would also like to use my D1. I am comfortable with the set up in my Bo and fly IFR regularly for business. My preference is to spend $ on my new 8 panel than invest in certified upgrades to my Bo.

My avionics plan consist of:
vp-x (I have this already)
Skyview 2ea 7", ADS-B, transponder, GPS?, 1ea ADAHRS, engine monitor, Etc.
PS Eng PAR200x (I have this already)
Garmin 430w
696 dock
D-1 mount

Will I have to pay subscription form both the 696 and 430w? What is the cost?

Any thoughts or ideas are welcome.

430 annual cost

current cost for annual CONUS subscription for the 430W is $410. As you probably already know, this will be required to fly in IMC with your panel scenario.

I currently use a Garmin 696 on a yoke mount in my Bonanza. I keep it current and use the xm weather. My Bo has a King 90B. I also use a Dynon D1 for backup in my Bo. Having to pay to keep the 696 current to use in my Bo, I would like to use it in my 8. I would also like to use my D1. I am comfortable with the set up in my Bo and fly IFR regularly for business. My preference is to spend $ on my new 8 panel than invest in certified upgrades to my Bo.

Garmin 430w
696 dock
D-1 mount

I currently fly IFR behind a 7" dual Skyview system.

1 - If you are going to fly actual IFR, get a 2nd ADAHRS that connects to the Pitot/Static lines. Either a second Skyview ADAHRS module, a Gemini PFD or a D6. The D1 can play tie breaker if ever needed. Some may not agree but to me this is an IFR safety of flight issue.

2 - You will need the ARINC-429 module in order to display the G430W VOR, Localizer and Glideslope information on the Skyview HSI. Otherwise you will need a Garmin GI-106 or an equivalent.

3 - As you probably know in order to file and fly IFR/G, you need to have your G430W database up to date. Otherwise you can only file IFR/A. You can't file and fly actual IFR/G using the 696 as your GPS in any aircraft even with an up to date database. The G430W database price depends on which subscription you purchase. As 9erDriver stated, the annual CONUS subscription for the G430W is $410. I only subscribe to the East USA data, so my G430W subscription is $335/yr. I wouldn't bother with the 696 subscription since the Skyview will have the same data and those updates are free. :D

4 - If you can pay the extra $200.00, get one Skyview GPS puck. You don't need 2 of them and it makes everything display much smoother. HOWEVER the second ADAHRS is much more important than the GPS puck since the system will work fine with the G430W and/or the 696 as your GPS source.

My 2 cents.
:cool:

Last edited:
GRT

Garmin 430w
696 dock
D-1 mount

I'm very happy with the GRT panel in my -8. See it here:

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showpost.php?p=796825&postcount=477

I have 160 hours on it including some IFR, and it hasn't missed a beat.

Skylor

Skylor, your GRT HX's look great. I've got dual WS's in my 7A and love the setup.

I was about ready to pull the trigger and upgrade to HX's but then GRT increased the cost to do a trade-up. Your panel has me thinking about it again.

I recently upgraded my 696 with the new $99 per year bundle. I did not read the fine print well enough, this upgrade is vfr only and uses the govt database. All of the approaches disappear from the unit as well as the very helpful vectors to final function, Which is Great for SA when being vectored.

I called garmin and they offered to put me back where I was.

I forgot to say, have at least the pilot side Skyview display connected to a DYNON backup battery. In case of an electrical power failure (VERY bad situation especially in IMC) your primary flight instruments will run off that battery for about 1hr which should be enough time to land somewhere.
:cool:

Skylor, your GRT HX's look great. I've got dual WS's in my 7A and love the setup.

I was about ready to pull the trigger and upgrade to HX's but then GRT increased the cost to do a trade-up. Your panel has me thinking about it again.

I have the same setup in my-9A. I was also about to do the upgrade when they changed the options. Now it's not worth it. I would love better resolution and Synthetic Vision, but can't justify the cost. The GRT system has been rock solid running off a Garmin 400W and a TT DIIVSGV. Also have the Navworx setup for traffic and weather on the GRT and love it. That's really where I would like the high resolution and processor speed the most.