Sgalvin65

I'm New Here
I've been interested in building an RV for a couple years and finally have some time for another project. I'm a corporate pilot and I'm on a 12 on 10 off schedule. I figured if I could spend close to 10 days working on my project I could get it done rather quickly. My only concern is having a buddy for a second set of hands and someone to buck rivets. I have friends who can buck the occasional rivet but not someone who can be there 24/7 when I'm working on my project. Could this be a potentional problem and how often would I need a helper?

Most of what you do airframe wise is repetitive work - after you figure out how to do the basic steps. That said, there is no substitute for having some who has built an RV, or even building now but a few steps ahead of you available to come over and help.

The best solution for when you need extra hands is to be in a group of local builders and you all share time on the other's projects. In your part of the country there are many builders.

I recommend you touch base with the RV guys in your area and see how they are doing it. Once past the airframe build you are faced with a lot of decisions not covered in the plans - this is where talking to other RV guys become most valuable. Fly down to Dogwood (VA42) and I'll be happy to go over stuff with you.

Carl

No big deal

I built a 6a. I only needed rivet bucking help occasionally and it's easy to work around your helper's schedule since there are numerous tasks to chose from at any given time. I would think that a modern 8a Kit would require much less help with riviting assuming you get a quick build fuse. John

Or buy a kit in the works

You can also buy a semi finished kit and finish it. Vlad has one for sale.. you will save several years of building time.

I'll tell you first hand that you can build the majority of the plane by yourself. I build alone and don't have anyone to help build, hold parts, Buck rivets etc.

I've built the entire tail by myself and I'm about half way done with the wings. I'll need help eventually when it come to riveting the wings, but even then I can rivet at least half of it by myself.

I say go for it. You'll never get it if you don't try. And truth be told it's not that hard, you'll figure it out.

The tail kit costs $1775 plus shipping. That's the best way to answer your question. In Maryland, there's probably someone within 20 miles who's built or is building an RV. If you get involved in the closest EAA chapter, you may accumulate more helpers than you know what to do with!

If it doesn't work out, you've lost $1775 minus the scrap value of about 40# of aluminum, plus the difference between the cost of your new tools and what you can sell them for.

You can also buy a semi finished kit and finish it. Vlad has one for sale.. you will save several years of building time.

+1 Yes, look seriously at this one. You get to pick all your avionics too. Just fly it to Stein and come back when it is done. Very very good deal.

Help

I'm building a 7a in the mountains of Colorado. Skilled help is nice and occasionally necessary but rarely needed. I needed it on the wing skins and fuse skins. The rest of the time, turn up the music and "build on"?

Thanks everyone for the help and suggestions. I'm going to place my order for the empennage kit early next week and begin the adventure.

Some of your "rest time" will be spent researching and reading what/how etc and ordering stuff. that can be done anywhere there's wifi and a phone. You will do well to plan in advance what you do once you get to the workshop. Better to hit the floor running. You will not need a helper 24/7. You will need to be organized.

Bevan

Built my RV8 from a quick build almost entirely solo. I think about the only rivets I absolutely couldn't do myself was for the little flap fuselage fairings. Just couldn't reach a hand around to two sides. And then there are those damned landing gear bolts...... :eek:

I had the same questions as I moved closer to my purchase, but I was very encouraged when I got a chance to ask Richard Van Grunsven that question at OSH. Ken Scott said 90% of the work could be done by one person, and Richard said it might be closer to 95%, if you try hard enough. I am also in the position of not having helpers readily available, but I do have friends and EAA 113 chapter members that will help out if necessary. I've finished the empennage metalwork on my RV-8. I've got a total of 274 hours on the clock so far, which may be higher than average... but I'd rather be careful than quick. That 274 hours also includes helper hours... which came to the grand total of 7 hours of assistance... and one of those hours was the first counselor's inspection! When I receive my quickbuild kits, I know I'll need help with initial unpacking and setup, because they're starting out as big pieces. And I'm sure I'll draw on the talent and assistance of other experienced builders as it gets closer to finishing. But I'm sure I'll be able to do a LOT of the remaining work solo. So keep us posted, and if you post a builder's log online, share it. You'll be glad you did!