Pmerems

Well Known Member
Advertiser
I am in the process of mounting the bracket for the pitch servo. The drawing shows the lower rib mounting flange opposite of the actual rib flange on my RV-7A. Maybe the RV-6 has this opposite flange and the drawing isn't updated.

I wanted to find out if those who have installed their bracket riveted the lower flange of the bracket to the bottom skin or just attached the bracket via the 4 top rivets on the rib and some additional rivets through the rib and abandoned riveting the lower flange on the bracket.

I drilled through the bottom flange and skin with I think 4 holes , dimpled the skin, countersunk the flange. It was easy to do when building the tail cone.

I doubt that there would be much movement between the flange and skin but I felt that a little more stability and no chafing between the skin and flange was a wise move. It only took another minute to rivet the additional rivets.

Jim Kinsey
7A fuselage

I didn't rivet mine to the skin. Held it several thousanths above the skin. I riveted it to the F-729B angle and the web of F-729A.

Hope this helps.

Per plans...

I riveted mine to the skin. Thought about doing otherwise, but had a helper handy that made the riveting trivial. If you have a bucker (or shooter) handy, it's super easy. If you don't, it's impossible.

Your call. I just figured I'd do it like it's shown.

I added two rows of rivets through the face of the bracket, and left the floor alone. It's very strong.

Ditto for me...
070909i.jpg

Clearance

Ditto for me...

Are you going to have clearance between the bell crank and the nut for the AP pushrod? Mine is on the other side. The Servo arm is facing the left side of the plane.

I bolted the bracket to the fuselage piece.

Servo Bracket & GOOP

I didn't rivet mine to the skin. Held it several thousanths above the skin. I riveted it to the F-729B angle and the web of F-729A.

Hope this helps.

I also did not rivet to the skin, but I used "GOOP" between the Bracket & the skin...sorta acts like a shock absorber for any vibration...also used it to attach tie wrap brackets for my fuselage wiring . As long as I never have to remove them (they hold like barnacles on a boat) I'll be all right.
Harold, RV-9A fuselage wiring slooowly

F635 Bellcrank Mod

Here's a mod I made to the F635 Bellcrank as well if you're interested. It seemed intuitive to me to beef up the bellcrank a little to accomodate the pitch servo pushrod...

I made a washer out of .063 to sit between the two pieces

I too was concerned about not having support where the pushrod attaches to the bellcrank and made a washer out of .063 to act as a shim or spacer.

I took Bret's lead and mounted my bracket the same way. I like the Goop idea about damping vibrations. I've been debating about fastening to the bottom skin to counter vibrations.

Are you going to have clearance between the bell crank and the nut for the AP pushrod? Mine is on the other side. The Servo arm is facing the left side of the plane.

I bolted the bracket to the fuselage piece.

I will need to determine the attachment once I install the servo. Until then, this is per the TT plans.