vmirv8bldr

Well Known Member
Guys, I'm getting ready to rivet the front, mid, and aft skins on my -8. I plan to install a trutrak but don't have the components yet. Is there anything I should now that will make life easier when I finally get the stuff and install it? Mods?

Pics appreciated greatly!

Thanks,
Bart

If the Eight wings are anything like my Nine wings, leaving off only the outboard bottom aft skin leaves TONS of room for installing the Trutrak bracket... which goes on with the same bolts that fasten the elev bellcrank bracket to the main spar. You could probably install the Trutrak bracket thru the inspection cover after the outboard bottom skin was riveted on, but it would be measurably more difficult. But that's on my Nine .... YMMV on an RV8.

Different

In the -8, both servos are in the Fuse. I know where the roll servo goes, and how. It won't be a problem. I do not fully understand how the pitch servo goes and I think I saw where a few folks had to modify the baggage rib to hold the servo, but couldn't find in a VERY quick search. I have easy access right now, but that will change in a couple of days.

If it's no problem to make the changes, then I'll press on and get to it when I get to it. If it's a big deal, then I would rather do it now since I can get to it from all angles.

Thanks though,
Bart

Bart - somewhere in the mists of time I did a post on installing my Altrak after the airplane was completed...I'd have to go search for it. In the meantime, you can go to the Tru Trak site, and download their engineering drawings for the RV-8 pitch servo installation - it will show you everything you need to know (better than a photo, actually). It's an easy change to the two angles that hold the elevator bellcrank.

Paul

The pitch servo goes in the tail

Behind the baggage compartment. It is not particularly difficult to get to in a finished airplane. You do need to use a special bracket in place of the one that is in there but it only takes a few moments to drill out that bracket.

Running the wire harness back there is a little tricky (and you will want a harness that does not have the connector on the end). Available from Steinair.

The roll servo sits under the front pilot seat. This is a classic case of measure twice, cut once since there are a few clearance issues under there. I had to modify the TruTrak supplied bracket slightly and I also had to bend the small floor stiffener to ensure the servo cleared it.

I have my install document that I wrote up around here some place.

I installed the TruTrak system in my -8QB about a month ago . Have the harness made up without the D connectors installed, this will allow routing through the snap bushings under the floor panels . You will have to replace the elevator bell crank angle brackets with the ones supplied in the kit . You will have to drill the old brackets out to do this . My 17 year old son is smaller than me and did this without a problem . The roll servo will mount under the front seat ,if you are installing electric trim, install this first it will be close to the TT roll servo and you want to make sure it doesn't interfere you will have some room forward and aft to adjust toe positioning for the TT servo . The instructions that come with the kit are very easy to read and understand . They are available in PDF for the TT website . I can e-mail some pict's if my installation if you need them I don't have everything covered up yet .

Guys, I'm getting ready to rivet the front, mid, and aft skins on my -8. I plan to install a trutrak but don't have the components yet. Is there anything I should now that will make life easier when I finally get the stuff and install it? Mods?

Pics appreciated greatly!

Thanks,
Bart
A few months ago, I had similiar questions and here are a few links with pics that may help. A floor rib underneath the pilot's seat will need a couple of roll servo brackets riveted to it...easier to do now but certainly not a showstopper if you have to wait until later. Refer to TruTrak's DWGS for more detail. Also, our updated (one piece) bellcrank assembly is NOT like the older design shown on the autopilot DWG and you will have to be a bit more creative when fitting the pitch servo brackets.

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=17601

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=18169

Call TruTrack and they will send you all the brackets. The guy said to me if I was going to install the brackets, I'd more than likely buy the the rest of the A/P. I did install both the roll and pitch servo brackets before riveting the skins on.