Charles in SC

Well Known Member
This question may seem dumb to some but I think some one here answer it in a heart beat. I am installing my Trutrak ADI Pilot II that I bought 4 or 5 years ago. It requires an RS-232 signal from a GPS. I want to use a hand held GPS like a Garmin 496 maybe. The problem is that I have never actually seen or held one of these in my hand and do not have access to one unless I buy one which I do not need just yet. So to the question.
Do the current handheld GPSs have output plug sockets on them so you can connect a cable?
Thanks in advance!

The Garmin handhelds do output NMEA information in an RS232 data stream. You will need a data cable to do that. For the 296/396/496 units, you can buy a cable that gives power and data output so you can have the GPS hard wired into your plane. It won't give GPS Steering, but it will provide GPS Nav, which is all the ADI Pilot can use anyway.

I had a 496 connected to my ADI Pilot II before upgrading to a 796. The 496 will drive the auto pilot great. And yes there is a cable that fits a socket on the unit. This makes the 496 easily removable from the panel if you have an Air Gizmos panel dock. IIRC you have to buy a separate cable from what comes with the 496 originally, but check me on that.

Joe