g zero

Well Known Member
how many american dollars do you have in your 8? I see the for sale from 80k to 115k.Getting ready to start mine,and just thinking ...........

how many american dollars do you have in your 8? I see the for sale from 80k to 115k.Getting ready to start mine,and just thinking ...........

What are you really looking for?

Cost will vary wildly from one example to the next. As you have discovered with those for sale, condition, avionics, paint, engine, interior, fit and finish will determine what the plane cost. What someone is willing to pay determines what it is worth. An 80K -8 might have 95k in it whereas a 115K -8 might only have 100K in it. Really depends on the example in question.

An -8 can be built for under 50K, and for much more than 100K.

What will it cost you depends on how much you have to spend on it. Just make sure you have more determination than cash and you'll be OK.

one time

i read on kahunas site that he had 80,000 or so in his first one. was a 6.
i thought no way man mine wont cost that much.:rolleyes: well im at 60,000 and im not done yet..that doesnt count the tools.:eek: man i got to go im getting sick:(

how many american dollars do you have in your 8? ............

WHAT? :D shame on you. Trying to get fellow builders to put that number in writing.
Someone needs a timeout, now take your preveiw plans and go to your room. You can come out, when you don't care what it will cost.:D

Last edited:
Priceless.

These things are worth way more than they sell for. I agree time out.

I would not sell mine for $120K even though I have much less in it then that (if you do not count the sweat and blood). I agree, they are worth more then they sell for which is why the resale prices are high.

More

It costs more to build than you ever though it would. I don't think it matters how MUCH you thought it would cost. You will find that you underestimated the cost. "All the available funds + 25%" seems to be a good formula. It's working for me. I'm expecting to have 50-60 in mine. I've bought almost everything I'll need except the engine and I'll bet I'm still underestimating how much money I'm gonna need.

Real glad my wife is VERY understanding

Economics

Man, that's a great question. What bothers me more than anything is that, aside from the RV-10, the Trade-a-Plane always lists the -8 with hands-down higher prices than any other RV listed. Why??? It wouldn't bother me so much if it weren't for the fact that when property taxes come up, the knuckleheads who work in the County Tax Collector's office use Trade-a-Plane for what they call "comparable value" to assess the 1% property tax of the airplane.

Sorry, but I can't see paying $1200 a year in property taxes for an airplane that is built only for day/night VFR.

So my question is this: why is the RV-8 always being sold at such high prices compared to the other RV's in the fleet?

It's not bad math... it's simple micro-economics 101. Pricing of goods today (with a few exceptions) is not based on cost, but on what people are willing to pay (demand) and how much competition there is for their purchasing dollars (supply). Think of it this way... regardless of what you have in your RV-8 in terms of cost, when you go to sell it, would you be happy to take a $100k offer when there is someone knocking on your door with a $120k check they want to give you for it, and you know there are no other comparable planes on the market at that time? The rational answer is, of course, that you'd reject the $100k offer and take the $120k.

Economics also has the concept of "elasticity of demand". Basically, it looks at how much demand drops as prices go up, or increases as prices go down. Experimental's have probably has fairly low elasticity, historically (i.e. mostly frugal, not-wealthy enthusiasts). I think elasticity for some designs has increased (more interest from wealthy individuals who want what they want, and are willing to pay for it). At least, looking at some of the panels going into what was meant to be a day-VFR airframe makes me think that:).

The reason the RV-10 is selling at such high prices in many cases is not really because it is more expensive to build (I would bet, though I haven't analyzed it, that the "profit component" for the RV-10 is much more significant than for other models), it is because there is a lot of demand for high performance 4 place aircraft (look at the numbers for Cirrus, Columbia, Mooney, Diamond as case in point). When people are willing to pay $500k for a high-perf 4-place, $250k for an RV-10 looks cheap to them, even if it only cost $150k to build it. Sure, it isn't certified, and might not be as plush inside, but a big chunk (not all) of the buying public will overlook that for the quarter million savings.

So, to answer your direct question, the RV-8 is being sold at higher prices compared to other models, because there is more demand for it in the marketplace, given the relative supply.

Market forces are a powerful thing, but they are not a mystery. You don't have to like it, but there is value in understanding it. Taxes... on the other hand, are beyond comprehension! :eek:

Economics

I want to take this opportunity to recommend "Basic Economics" by Thomas Sowell. It's an easy read, and basically explains economics in a concise and interesting way, with lots of real world examples. I really likes the way he explodes common myths.

Hans

It wouldn't bother me so much if it weren't for the fact that when property taxes come up, the knuckleheads who work in the County Tax Collector's office use Trade-a-Plane for what they call "comparable value" to assess the 1% property tax of the airplane.

So my question is this: why is the RV-8 always being sold at such high prices compared to the other RV's in the fleet?

Interesting, tax collectors using the "asking price" on airplanes not yet sold to determine the value of your property. I guess I can see using an actual estimate for your aircraft but to compare it to all of the others offered for sale, not really fair.

Oh, I get it, you live in California, ummm...sorry, I guess? If they are going to tax you for a high end -8 and yours isn't, time to call Stein and "get a Garmin".

Why are-8s being sold for more than the rest? Simple, they are the most desirable. Actually, as time goes on, the number of available -8 for sale will catch up to demand and the price should stabilize somewhat. Not as low as a -7 or -9 but a bit lower. I mean, after all it is an -8 right?