HelioJoe

Well Known Member
Intalled a TT DigiflightII today. Elevator pitch was simple even gave the pushrod length of 5.750".

Went to the aileron roll, once again basic, but no where in the drawings was there an indication of any particular length for the push rod. Called Tru Trak and talked with a tech who had no idea of what the length should be for a RV-9A.

Anyone installed one in a 9A? Sure could use an answer....Thanks...Joe.

I'll check with a -9A buddy

Joe,

A buddy at home plate has a TT DFII in his -9A (and is always braggin' about it! :)). I'm out of town on a Navy Reserve gig, but will try to call him and see if he can provide info. I'll be home Saturday, and will go out and ask him, if you don't have an answer by then (I'm figuring you probably will, but will check back to see). I'm sure you're itchin' to get 'er done! Will see what I can dig up for ya!

Cheers,
Bob

Servo location

Might help to know where you mounted the servo.

Hi Ron....thanks for the comeback....the servo is located in the bay where the aileron rods connect. Under wing on spar...has to be for the servo to move the bellcrank....thanks...Joe.

Much Obliged

Joe,

A buddy at home plate has a TT DFII in his -9A (and is always braggin' about it! :)). I'm out of town on a Navy Reserve gig, but will try to call him and see if he can provide info. I'll be home Saturday, and will go out and ask him, if you don't have an answer by then (I'm figuring you probably will, but will check back to see). I'm sure you're itchin' to get 'er done! Will see what I can dig up for ya!

Cheers,
Bob

Hey Bob....that would be great. I really can wait for next week. Finished the canopy this morning and decided to build the 0-360 today anyway. Got the case halves ready, laid in the tappets and cam and was ready to drop in the crank and found I was missing one main bearing. Always something it seems.
Thanks for the help......Joe.

Hi Ron....thanks for the comeback....the servo is located in the bay where the aileron rods connect. Under wing on spar...has to be for the servo to move the bellcrank....thanks...Joe.

Unless you put the servo at the wingtip, or under the seat. :)

Several places you can mount a servo, but I'm sure you'll get good responses now that we know your servo is midwing. Just put the aileron bellcrank at neutral position, the servo arm at neutral, measure the distance between the two, and make your pushrod that length.

Makes sense!!

Unless you put the servo at the wingtip, or under the seat. :)

Several places you can mount a servo, but I'm sure you'll get good responses now that we know your servo is midwing. Just put the aileron bellcrank at neutral position, the servo arm at neutral, measure the distance between the two, and make your pushrod that length.

Sam......makes sense.....and that is probably what I'll do...Thanks...Joe

Pictures/numbers from a -7A servo

Joe,

I was unable to connect with the -9A builder/flyer, but another gent in the Stead RV clan is building a -7A, and his aileron servo is mounted mid-wing. Took a couple photos (posted below) and measurements. The silver rod length is 3.25", and the distance on-center between the bolts to either side of the rod is 4.8". I gotta caveat all this with the fact that I'm pretty new at this, and have not yet installed an AP in my (bought flying) -6. So this is not expert advice by any stretch...could be the blind leading the (not so) blind! :)

Here are the pics...the builder (first-time builder, but a meticulous guy) said it was pretty straight forward, and he went by the instructions (though he doesn't recall if the rod length was called out in them.)

http://img363.imageshack.us/img363/8695/7attaileronservo2ik6.jpg

http://img405.imageshack.us/img405/2453/7attaileronservo1xg3.jpg

Hope this gets you closer...sounds like the pros have weighed in as well. Happy building!!

Cheers,
Bob

Last edited:
Joe,

I was unable to connect with the -9A builder/flyer, but another gent in the Stead RV clan is building a -7A, and his aileron servo is mounted mid-wing. Took a couple photos (posted below) and measurements. The silver rod length is 3.25", and the distance on-center between the bolts to either side of the rod is 4.8". I gotta caveat all this with the fact that I'm pretty new at this, and have not yet installed an AP in my (bought flying) -6. So this is not expert advice by any stretch...could be the blind leading the (not so) blind! :)

Here are the pics...the builder (first-time builder, but a meticulous guy) said it was pretty straight forward, and he went by the instructions (though he doesn't recall if the rod length was called out in them.)

Hope this gets you closer...sounds like the pros have weighed in as well. Happy building!!

Cheers,
Bob
Aileron bellcrank does not look like it is in neutral position by the photo. The servo arm does. Make sure that you use the bellcrank tool supplied in the wing kit to place it in neutral before taking any measurements between it and the servo arm which should also be in the neutral position per my TruTrak plans.
Mike H 9A/8A

Thanks

Joe,

Cheers,
Bob

Bob...sure appreciate you taking out the time for the photos etc....Joe

I agree

Aileron bellcrank does not look like it is in neutral position by the photo. The servo arm does. Make sure that you use the bellcrank tool supplied in the wing kit to place it in neutral before taking any measurements between it and the servo arm which should also be in the neutral position per my TruTrak plans.
Mike H 9A/8A

Hi Mike....yes I agree with the photo etc. As you said get the aileron bellcrank adjustment tool out then adjust the pushrod....many thanks for your time..Joe.

Bob...sure appreciate you taking out the time for the photos etc....Joe

My pleasure Joe. Not sure if the -7A shown will be the same measurements as your -9A, but just wanted to give you a look at a wing install. And I'm sure Mike is right as well...I moved the airleron a bit before taking the picture and measuring the silver rod, so they are not centered. But his install is nice and clean, so hope it adds value! Sounds like you recieved some great guidance from the other posters!

It'll be interesting to see how the Dynon servo install differs (if it does) once I get them. Your query and the responses may help me when I get to that point! Thanks!

Best,
Bob